• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford 4.6 modular in a 740??

Mats 960t16

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it will fit. A 4.6 v8 from an 1995 ford thunderbird with automatic transmission, in a 740. Is there someone out here who did this? Or knows if it will fit?

grtz.

It's fits a 240, so I don't see why not a 740.... not sure about over there, but you can pick up that combo dirt cheap over here....

I know

I know its the only cheap v8 car here that has injection and comes with a complete car. that was the reason, I needed to know :) if I dont need to cut the oil pan or such thing I could make it work easily (I think).

thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll fit, I'd measure the width at the top of the valve covers, and the width with the tightest headers you can find installed to be sure though. Those are WIDE engines.

OEM?

I dont know it for sure, but i tought the oem headers were pretty small. but i will measure that definetly. And there isnt a very big market for aftermarket (american) v8 stuf over here.

gr.

Those are nice motors, smooth and pretty bulletproof. But they are un-rebuildable at the tree-shade. If you can get a PI 4.6 that would be even better.

4.6l vs 5.0... impressed that they fit... good info to have :)
motor-4_6-4V-004.jpg

Yep

I ment the ohc engine with +/- 200 hp

@ henry what do you mean with this??

"But they are un-rebuildable at the tree-shade."

I have no clue what that means :p

And what is a PI 4.6?

The engine I want is in a 1995 thunderbird, because I can get that car very cheap.

Gr.

Last edited:

@ henry what do you mean with this?? I have no clue what that means :p

And what is a PI 4.6?

The engine I want is in a 1995 thunderbird, because I can get that car very cheap.

Gr.

PI stands for Power Improved. I believe it was a change in the head and intake manifold design around 2001 or so.

@ henry what do you mean with this?? I have no clue what that means :p

And what is a PI 4.6?

Gr.

A few more special tools and attention to detail needed to rebuild one.

Thanks

all, I know now it will probably fit. Then all i have to do for my winter project is to find a good t-bird and a nice shabby 740.

I was not planning to rebuild the engine :) but if I have to do that, I dont think it will be a big problem. I have enough experienced co workers who will help me if I need it.

gr.

Back