• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 AC Delete '84- Keep the Comppressor support w/ PS mount?

burntpockethole

Hello

I have an '85 245 Turbo. It seems to have '84 AC and PS components. AC is already bypassed and the PS belt runs from Saginaw pump directly to the crank. Im currently replacing the PS pump and thought it would be nice to remove the compressor while im down there.

Question: Can I "simply" remove the compressor and keep using its support for the PS pump mount? It looks like its a few bolts.
Any considerations to doing this such as stiffness or excessive vibration without the comp? maybe it doesnt even drop out like I imagine.
your experience is appreciated.

8DYujQE.jpg

Last edited:
The compressor unbolts and the bracket slides off it, iirc the bracket has to be removed with the compressor to get to some bolts.

I would be it would vibrate/flex more then you'd want without the compressor in there, the compressor does a lot of the rigidity. You could try boxing the lower portion of the bracket with some metal and metal hot glue gun.

Or just get the right bracket

The compressor unbolts and the bracket slides off it, iirc the bracket has to be removed with the compressor to get to some bolts.

I would be it would vibrate/flex more then you'd want without the compressor in there, the compressor does a lot of the rigidity.
Or just get the right bracket

thank you. I wasnt sure if Id have to remove the whole thing first. Ill probably remove it for now and observe any flex. Wondering if a couple bolts with a few wahers could brace it.
Ill eventually get the correct bracket and do it up right. Theres a few other fixes in the way first.

It's a pretty beefy bracket, and a really heavy compressor. Once you get it off, if flexing is a worry, you could easily weld a couple diagonal braces.

(For fun, you can try to take the compressor apart for a desktop crankshaft paperweight, or sell it to the offroad crowd as an on-board-air compressor -- it's special in that the oil is separate from the refrigerant.)

Back