• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 Timing Belt Stupidity

Thanks for the replies. Guess I will likely be taking it back to the mechanic

Any concerns with driving the car like this? I assume it will only cause a mild decrease in performance and fuel economy.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I will likely be taking it back to the mechanic

Any concerns with driving the car like this? I assume it will only cause a mild decrease in performance and fuel economy.

Well if it is out far enough, contact between the valve and pistons... Even light touching.

You paid for it to be right, make him make it right.

Jordan

I am so glad redblocks, unlike white blocks, are non-interference engines and don't grenade when a belt slips or fails.

Gotta wonder why ALL vehicle engines aren't non-interference designs.

I am so glad redblocks, unlike white blocks, are non-interference engines and don't grenade when a belt slips or fails.

Gotta wonder why ALL vehicle engines aren't non-interference designs.
Lots to do with compression ratio.
More power, more efficient, less emissions, useless crap like that. :-P

Lots to do with compression ratio.
More power, more efficient, less emissions, useless crap like that. :-P

Yeahhh I think I'll go with the non interference. After the PITA this was and the constant worry I'm now going to have every time I drive the car, I'd rather make some small performance sacrifices for non interference.

I call shenanigans on this one. Big Auto just wants cars with busted timing belts going to the junkyard faster so that they can sell more.

Yeahhh I think I'll go with the non interference. After the PITA this was and the constant worry I'm now going to have every time I drive the car, I'd rather make some small performance sacrifices for non interference.

I call shenanigans on this one. Big Auto just wants cars with busted timing belts going to the junkyard faster so that they can sell more.

If you want half the hp/liter of a modern engine, go or it.

I have no idea why people are afraid of interference engines.

Most common failures I've seen (in no particular order)

Mice in belts causing them to skip
Aux belts failing and ending up in tbelt (due to age or impact with a curb/snow bank).
Washing engine at -40 (mainly cars from body shops)
Straight up lack of changing the belt.

The VVT is not complicated. Infact, it is super simple. If your guy had properly locked the cam and followed simple set up steps for the VVT hubs, they're extremely reliable.

We have many 4-500k white blocks through the shop that haven't been rebuilt.

So Jordan et al - what do you recommend in terms of timing/serpentine belt change. 80K?

So Jordan et al - what do you recommend in terms of timing/serpentine belt change. 80K?

*Most* are 168k km. But there are some variations to that. It's best to look at your manual.

Engines I've found eat belts quicker are the T6 engine and the S/V40 4 cylinder. Possibly due to our colder weather.

I'd just stick to what your manual suggests with an occasional peak at the belt as you start getting closer to change time for any cracking

Jordan

Back