• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

79 GT Springs Discontinued....

OldCarNewTricks

Hello,

I made a post a good bit back about putting 79 GT springs in the front of my 242. I've been waiting for a long time as they were coming from Sweden. Unfortunately, the dealer that ordered them for me informed me that they only received one and that Volvo has permanently discontinued them. :-(

I'm not sure what to do now!

I was wanting a firm upgrade for a daily that would still be decent with the nasty roads I drive on. Any recommendations on what to do for springs now?

The ones I bought were aftermarket. They were Scan Tech and were listed incorrectly in the parts description as turbo springs. But they had the part number of 1229337. Try checking with FCPEuro or VP autoparts. They should have something for you. They have served well for over 200k miles.

Hello,

I made a post a good bit back about putting 79 GT springs in the front of my 242. I've been waiting for a long time as they were coming from Sweden. Unfortunately, the dealer that ordered them for me informed me that they only received one and that Volvo has permanently discontinued them. :-(

I'm not sure what to do now!

I was wanting a firm upgrade for a daily that would still be decent with the nasty roads I drive on. Any recommendations on what to do for springs now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1407224761...hvsc9M74i1HMEWO89NaML6LzN2DNXFchoCsg8QAvD_BwE

I order from this vendor on regular basis. Good people to deal with. With other vendors, they don't specify if they are heavy duty for a single coil spring.

Last edited:
I've also bought from partscontainer ebay vender and they have been nice to deal with. I'd message them and I'm sure they would measure the spring diameter.

"Hello,

the manufacturer did not provide us with that piece of information and we don't have all the parts readily available for inspection as we work remotely.
We did some net research, this part is probably not 14.5mm, the best idea is to contact your local dealership and obtain the part number for your vehicle from them and compare it with the one on our listing. If there's a match, you're good to go. Or you can send the part number you've obtained to us and we'll check if we carry it.
Thank you for your understanding,

Best regards,
Bobby
Customer Service"

Well, shoot...

Probably should try the Eeuroparts ones then. At least it's less than $50 for both springs that claim to be the correct number and they are lesjofers a decent brand. They call them heavy duty.

Inner Diameter: 6.57" (167mm)
Free Length: 17.8" (452mm)
Bar Diameter: 0.53" (13.5mm)
Style: Heavy Duty

This is what CarID has listed under the Lesjofors springs.

My current springs measure 13.5mm.

Looks like Rockauto lists the Lesjofors springs as the standard replacement for all the years of sedan.

Well, I guess I'll ask the dealership if they can see if any other dealer might have another spring in stock in the US.

I also found Lesjofors 4095803 which are listed as being for Volvos that came with 13.8mm springs from factory.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm a bit late to the party for ordering some good upgrade springs. I guess that leaves IPD lowering springs? I don't know of any others. Even the Lesjofors 30mm lowering springs are out of stock.

There are a few vendors that sell 14.5mm, I have a set and they are heavy duty. Partsgeek lists them for $45.58/ea W0133-1618379 https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1992/volvo/240/suspension/coil_spring.html

Tasca lists 14.2mm '1229337' $55/ea

:ninja:

I haven't yet seen those Lesjofors springs yet. The ones you have, do they actually measure 14.5mm?

Yeah, a lot of dealers list the 1229337 as being available. I asked my local dealer what's up with that, and I'm waiting to hear back.

Back