• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Power dimming & belt shrieking (Help)

Elvolvito

Hello, I?m making this thread because my ?88 244DL recently started having an issue with the power going through the car, as well as one of my belts shrieking (I suspect my AC/PS belt since that?s where I usually tend to hear the shriek from). So basically anytime I drive at night with my lights on for more than around 5 minutes, every single light in the vehicle (and I mean every light, from the dash light to the rear lights) starts dimming & going bright again. Never completely goes out, just dims & brightens constantly, this is usually accompanied by small 2 second periods of belt shrieking. I?m hesitant to diagnose my alternator as the issue as it?s been replaced less than a year ago. Could it be a battery issue? Or are my belts just f*cked? & if so, which ones? I had some new alt belts come in today but I want to make sure I get some input from here before I go ahead & install them.

I also want to elaborate on the fact that the power never completely goes out. I’ve even tried turning on as many electronics in the car as I can to put as much strain as possible on the alternator & it still doesn’t shut off.

Time to replace the belts.

I just replaced all the belts on the Bertone. Shrieking, diming.

Belts looked fine, just old. Some things get hard with age, some do not.

Time to replace the belts.

I just replaced all the belts on the Bertone. Shrieking, diming.

Belts looked fine, just old. Some things get hard with age, some do not.

Ah alright, figured it was just that. Do you know where I could order new ac/ps belts?

What exactly are the measurements for the ac/ps belts on an ‘88 244? Are both of them the same size? There’s one going from the ac to the alt & one going from the ps to the ac.

The parts store should have the correct belts associated with the vehicle you describe. Volvo's, even old ones, are not that unique.

If the belts don't have part numbers on them any auto parts store should be able to get the right one assuming their workforce isn't too high to read part numbers

I agree, check the crank pulley. Also search out premium belts which are true 11mm width (cheaper belts are actually 3/8" width even though they are specified as 11mm).

Back