• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

79 GT Springs Discontinued....

I'm considering just buying these after all: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-2-f-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

He says they are 14.5mm, but I'm going to ask the guy to double check the spring thickness. He has it posted in his ad that they are 17-11/16" free length.

There aren't too many 240s in pick n pulls nowadays. So I'm not sure how easy it is to find upgraded springs.

Don't waste your money. Turbo springs are nowhere near as stiff as the 1979 GT springs.

I'm considering just buying these after all: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-2-f-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

He says they are 14.5mm, but I'm going to ask the guy to double check the spring thickness. He has it posted in his ad that they are 17-11/16" free length.

There aren't too many 240s in pick n pulls nowadays. So I'm not sure how easy it is to find upgraded springs.

:nod:

Haven't seen a 79 GT in the local PnP for ~10 years, and there hasn't even been a 242 in the PDX yards for going on 4 years now.

That said PM DET17 I think he bought some new several years back.

Don't waste your money. Turbo springs are nowhere near as stiff as the 1979 GT springs.

:nod:

Haven't seen a 79 GT in the local PnP for ~10 years, and there hasn't even been a 242 in the PDX yards for going on 4 years now.

That said PM DET17 I think he bought some new several years back.

Good to know. I'll avoid Turbo springs then.

I'll message DET17 and see where he got his.

I'll also start a wanted post to see if anyone has some hiding in their parts stash.

Just to confuse things further. The GT aftermarket springs I've bought were listed in the parts description as turbo/GT springs and they were the correct diameter and rate. I bought mine back when FCPEuro was selling scan tech branded parts. I've got over 200k miles on the set on my wagon. It won't be cheap for shipping but you could try Nordicar and ask them what the specs are on the turbo/GLT springs they sell are.

Just to confuse things further. The GT aftermarket springs I've bought were listed in the parts description as turbo/GT springs and they were the correct diameter and rate. I bought mine back when FCPEuro was selling scan tech branded parts. I've got over 200k miles on the set on my wagon. It won't be cheap for shipping but you could try Nordicar and ask them what the specs are on the turbo/GLT springs they sell are.

I found an ad for those springs on eBay through Nordicar, and I sent them a message. The shipping is cheaper than Skandix, and if the measurements are correct, it may be my best bet.

GT springs aren't much of an upgrade. The ones I got for my DD were free. If I had to pay for something, I would have gotten something better.

I've heard that GT springs paired with Bilstein HD inserts are quite nice for spirited street driving. If not thosex then what would you suggest?

I've heard that GT springs paired with Bilstein HD inserts are quite nice for spirited street driving. If not thosex then what would you suggest?

Indeed they are, and they're a prefect match for the rear overloads on my wagon without a harsh ride quality.

Alternately you could drop a couple Gs on some coil-overs, install some pickup truck springs and go parking lot cone squishing.

:e-shrug:

Nordicar's response:

Hello

Length is 42cm
Thicknis is 14.7mm

Vriendelijke groeten, Best regards, Freundliche Gr?sse, Cordialement,

I also asked about spring rate, but not sure if they have that spec on hand. The springs are shorter and thicker than the regular 240 springs. Thoughts?

Shipping through their eBay store is actually quite reasonable. $162.10 shipped to my door.

Is there any reason they would be called GLT/Turbo springs and not GT springs?

Right on. I think it's one of the few options left, so worth a try. Paired with trimmed wagon springs in the rear and some Billy HDs should make for a slow but maneuverable ride.

Well, I'll order them soon I think. Third times the charm, fingers crossed.

Alright, I've done the deed. Just for reference, the part number from Nordicar is 3529915. Looks like they only had 2 in stock on their eBay store. Not sure if they have more through their website.

Back