• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 Lemforder vs. Meyle Contol Arm Kits - Preference?

alschnertz

Enough already!
1995 854T, 261,000 miles

I didn't realize how bad the front steering components are on this car until yesterday.
Ball joints and tie rod ends are loose and sloppy. Scary that I was just driving it 70 mph last week.

Fortunately, FCP sells 6-piece kits that have the goodies I need - control arms w/ ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links. I don't think Genuine Volvo parts are necessary so their other 2 choices are Lemforder @ $247 & Meyle @ $127.

Both seem very reasonably priced but I'm leaning toward the Meyle kit since this "spare" car only gets driven maybe 1,000 miles per year now. So why spend the extra money.

Both brands have decent reviews, but I'm wondering what makes the Lemforder kit almost twice the price.

It seems that Meyle has 3 quality levels on offer: OE, PD and HD. I suppose HD will not be priced the same as OE or PD parts.
But anyway, it's a German company that has to comform to TUV standards, if not customers would not get their cars passed TUV-inspection.
The part will have a sticker on it saying TUV approved or GS (geprufte sicherheit = tested safety)
i would have zero doubts about buying a Meyle car part.

Go with the cheaper option. If its a daily driver, no point in spending a lot of money. In fact, I have use meyle suspensions parts on many 850s and can say they are good parts.

A year later and now the same question about Lemforder vs. Febi for lower control arms on a daily driver '01 S40.

The Febi arms are about half the price of Lemforder. I don't really care about performance issues and am more interested in just having a replacement that will bolt on without fitment anomalies.

Has there been good experiences with Febi?

Febi is under Bilstein company, we use Febi on cheap bmw driftcars alot, fitment was always spot on, ball joints usually lasts for 2 years even with abuse.

I did see that Febi has some connection to Bilstein after I posted.
"Spot on" fitment is encouraging and since this is a 274,000 mile rusty S40, 2-4 years is about all I expect to get out of the car.

Thanks for the input.

Follow up...

I bought/installed the Febi lower control arms for the S40 and they fit with no issues.
I'll be curious how they hold up. They don't look any different than the original equipment.

Follow up # 2...

I finally installed the Meyle pieces on the 854T last weekend.
They seem to be a good quality part and fit easily.

Time will tell on how well they hold up, but as I said earlier, this 854 only gets maybe 1000 miles per year and is now the "desperation use only" vehicle. I'll likely be dead of old age before the parts need replacement again.

Back