• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's Lifted Om606 Wagon Build

I went to the junkyard on half off day just to see what they had and I found a slk230 compressor with a 6speed manual trans. I don't know if I'm going to put the 6 speed in the wagon yet but I grabbed everything I could just incase. Out the door for about 100 bucks and everything bolts up to the 606

jzeBNDw.jpg

cleaned up the trans and parts i got, i stuck a inspection camera the transmission and didnt see anything alarming. i also took the time to do some measuring. even with my engine a little further forward i still have to shorten the shifter housing and linkage about 5.5 inches to make it line up with the stock hole in the floor. luckily volvo was wise enough to have a bunch of threaded holes on the frame section so i can still use my trans crossmember. the drive shaft needs to be about 3 inches longer and uses a different guibo. Im going to grab another volvo front half and make another driveshaft. i want to get all the parts ready so if i decide to swap it i wont need to hack up any of my current setup. i want to be able to change back to the auto easily if i dont like it.

So I got another fuel filter housing, constantly having to do monitor air ingress in the system is a little annoying, it hasn't been a major issue since I've put all new oem lines and I rings but I want to eliminate that.

606 style housing

JT3uuEe.jpg

You can see all the hard plastic lines which are secured by orings. They tend to flatten out and allow air in the system over time

This is the early style 603 housing which you can see doesn't have the fuel thermostat in it as well, I have deleted that but it makes it a much simpler setup and has nice banjo fittings.

qXYVZsf.jpg

Also got the trans cleaned up and need to get to shortening the shifter extension.

5vnD1f7.jpg

Nothing really new on the transmission stuff but I did have some issues with the car, I have been basically daily driving it since I finished it and there has really been nothing that kept it from driving, small oil leaks and other small things have occured which I have covered. I had a spongy brake pedal a few weeks back and I ordered some stainless steel brake lines from ipd and a new master cylinder, I replaced the lines, pads and master cylinder and flushed the brake system and the brakes work amazingly well now. I put a new coolant tank on it as well because mine was yellow. I also had a issue where the a/c stopped working. I pulled the oriface tube and found metal shavings in it. No biggie, I love oriface tube systems for that reason. I found no metal after the oriface tube so I flushed the lines, condenser and evaporator and threw on a new denso compressor and the ac works fantastic now. It's getting pretty hot here in town and there is still no signs of over heating even with the ac on. Here's a cleaned up underhood picture of the car.

7Z4KBRC.jpg

Isn't torque rating the issue with the Mercedes manual transmissions?

Every time I see this I reconsider getting around to this swap. Outstanding car

Isn't torque rating the issue with the Mercedes manual transmissions?

Every time I see this I reconsider getting around to this swap. Outstanding car

Yea it is but it's stock, and it's going to remain that way, so I don't see having any issues with it, you can get a 717 cdi trans that's rated for more torque but you'd have to import it. The biggest issue with alot of the trans swaps is that they are using heavier clutches and single mass flywheels and they are obnoxiously noisy. I'm sticking with a dual mass

For the first time in a project car I actually have a working radio. I did some interior cleanup on the car and while it's been pretty convenient to have the trans computer screen up by the cluster I decided to move it.

gkq35hU.jpg

I installed one of those cheapy but appropriate looking vdo head units and some Rockford fosgate speakers in the doors.

I removed the controller to get a feel for it

bQtHXxb.jpg

Then when I was looking around for where to put it i decided on where the ash tray is. I need to finish mounting it but I'm happy with the location and the fact that it's mostly out of direct sunlight

eQzGbTT.jpg

Also I got new wheels and tires for it but that's going to be a post for another day!

FAaUqis.jpg

Not much to report, got a Benz shifter in the car to try out all the tiptronic stuff with the of gear controller and it works really well. Not going to do the manual swap. I don't think it's worth my time and effort the more and more I think about it. The gf and I went out to Laguna seca to go mountain biking and I drove on some fun steep dirt hills with it which was a blast

Found a cool old style bus driver wheel at the yard. I'm a fan of the bigger steering wheels and now everything is visible as far as the gauges go.

VOwTIvj.jpg

7kTZnjA.jpg

New wheels are on, they are braids. 15x7 et38. They have the factory Volvo centerbore. Got some bne extended studs, also got a set of 25mm spacers, punched all the studs out of those because they were hub centric and I had the long studs. I shaved the front spacers down to 18mm to maintain et20 on the front. I love the way they turned out and it's nice to have a little bigger tire on there

tD6ruoy.jpg

Before

6cdmNSM.jpg

After

LmsD0ZV.jpg

:zeeall:

Dude, you're killing it with this thing. Crushing the game, in the parlance of our time.

I'm excited to check it out in person... sometime!

Back