• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Finished the engine bay last night. Put on a 2mm spacer behind the water pump pulley (and scratched the paint, as I?m wont to do). Swapped in some Yoshifab timing gears, and replaced the idler pulley, as there was some noise coming out of that area. Hoping that solves that.

One of the captive nuts on the firewall was stripped, so I also spent an entire hour installing a helicoil and some studs to limit wear in those areas.

That reminds me the rear control arm captive nuts need to be replaced. I really don?t want to think about that right now. Crap.

Anyway, pictures. Bonus mouse turd content at the end. Yum.

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2820.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm up to five cars registered now and nowhere to commute to... mouse turds have become a huge part of my car "maintenance".

Our XC60 was putting out a burnt popcorn smell and I'm pretty sure something was putting acorns in the muffler.

One of my favorites. Thanks for the mouse turd! My first 242 was this color and I've always regretted selling that car.

I'm up to five cars registered now and nowhere to commute to... mouse turds have become a huge part of my car "maintenance".

Our XC60 was putting out a burnt popcorn smell and I'm pretty sure something was putting acorns in the muffler.

uh.. so nice ! :)

Looks sharp

Gosh this is cool.

Thank you all for the kind words!

Managed to accidentally get some work done on Sunday. Got the seat brackets re-did and the seats installed. Should have probably painted them, but that will be a job for future Harald to do...once they are nice and covered with surface rust. The seats are temporary until I get around to fixing a set of LSCs that have been languishing for (quite) a few years.

So yeah, started it, adjusted base ignition timing, crossed items off list. I think it's ready for its first test drive.

BTW I'm really starting to itch for MIG wire and shielding gas. Cleaning slag and spatter is getting old.

IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

IMG_2863.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

Last edited:
Sometimes (read:very often) I do things that are detrimental to my own mental wellbeing. This is one of them. My new crankcase ventilation system works too well at ventilating and resulted in a whole lot of oil getting sucked into the intake manifold, resulting in copious amounts of smoke and many dirty looks around the neighborhood. It was bad. Like, worse than Seafoam smoke bad. Like fogged an entire street block bad.

I have talked to Tom (The Full Banana), who has one working successfully. I will be reducing the hose diameter from the intake manifold from 19mm to 10mm, and will experiment with using a check valve and a proper PCV valve. I'm also tossing the fibrous filter element in favor of a stainless steel basket and adding a drain check valve.

Last edited:
Ostensibly found the error in the way I set up the system. Plan is to run an old Corolla PCV valve (all stainless, 10mm barbs on both ends) to restrict flow to the intake manifold. Additionally, a drain check valve will be added.

If anyone knows a Mann+Hummel distributor in North America, please let me know. I can only find them in Australia and the UK.

PCV_Before_001.jpeg

PCV_After_001.jpeg

Last edited:
I like this visual. Is the drain to the block connected with 2 90s? Also I still think you should cut the drain hose and get a bigger hose on there for this to work you want as little bends and as much fall as possible and based on where everything is sitting it doesn't look like it's going to work right unless you put a scavenger pump (which I think is better anyway) inline

The actual flow path is actually pretty direct. I drew it that way to make the graphic as clear as possible.

The next oil pan is getting a boss welded on to help things.

Most of the time, when things go wrong, they are my mistake. I make mistakes often. This one, however, is completely unexpected.

To back track, I ended up resolving the exhaust smokiness issue. Replacing the -12 line with a PCV banjo bolt and a PCV valve off a 70s Corolla seemed to resolve the oil siphoning nonsense. The entire exhaust system came off for a power wash. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to run the engine to evaporate the excess water soaked in the mufflers before the next issue reared its head.

While on the stands, a rather large puddle formed itself in no time. Upon further inspection, it became clear that the leak was coming out of the back of the cylinder head. Cursing the stupid valve cover gasket, I set on tearing things down. The result was a bit surprising: rear plug got blown out, and the retainer plate holding it in was blown out as well. What would cause this? Why a broken camshaft thrust pad! Duh! Fortunately I do have some spares sitting around, so downtime should be minimal. I will miss the top end of the fancy race cams…

I have a set of car cams, a set of PZs, and some leads on extra car cams. Plan is to run either car or PZ cams for a while, see about getting this 276* intake cam fixed, sell those and the pentas, turn in as many cores as possible to Yoshifab, and install a set of the more turbo friendly 272s.

As for addressing the cam breakage issue, hopefully it’s simply a matter of filling the distributor slot to deal with the stress riser and add a little bit of strength back.

IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2898.jpeg

IMG_2956.jpeg

IMG_2960.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

IMG_2964.jpeg

IMG_2966.jpeg

Last edited:
Back