home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-14-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
TouringMusician
Board Member

Default Anyone put a b23x in a Toyota Hilux?

I recently found myself the owner of a small 2 man carpentry company, and Iím getting tired of putting the interior of my poor Volvo through the abuse of hauling cut up decks to the dump.

So I started looking at little Toyota pickups (I had one once and love them) but I never was a 22r nerd like many are. About 10% of the Hiluxes here in Colorado have blown motors and the other 90% are wildly expensive. But there are blown motor 4x4 trucks for barely 4 digitsÖ

I know the Toyota used the AW71, so itís plausible to swap bellhousings and possibly have a b23x Hilux, correct? But has anybody ever heard of a way to connect the Toyota 5 speed manual to a Volvo block? I ran across some ancient forums in the Toyota world that mentioned an adapter, but seeing as this is such a rare swap, Iíd doubt something exists?

P.S.-I know it would be easy enough to just use a Volvo transmission, but I was hoping to end up with a 4x4 truck, which would be way easier if the Toyota stuff could somehow work with the Volvo motor.

Anyway, Iím just wildly spitballing here, but I like Toyota Hiluxes and I like Volvo motors, and I donít want to spend $7k+ on a 35 year old work truck.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2021, 03:06 AM   #2
cosbySweater
Board Member

Did one in a 2wd hilux almost 10 years ago. It worked out great. Just needed to hack up the oil pan to clear the steering. My advice, get something more modern with more support
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:29 AM   #3
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

^What Erik said. Get something that's not hacked up and that's going to be reliable. If it must be a Toyota, and a minitruck, a Tacoma would be a good choice. Modern enough to have safety features, and a reliable drivetrain that has decent parts support.

1982 242Ti - black, B23FT/M46 combo.
@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
TouringMusician
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Did one in a 2wd hilux almost 10 years ago. It worked out great. Just needed to hack up the oil pan to clear the steering. My advice, get something more modern with more support
Thanks for the tip on the steering clearance, hadnít even gotten to the point of trying to put a tape on something yet. Did you mount it upright or at the Volvo angle? Not having a Hilux in front of me, itís hard to get precise measurementsÖ

In terms of the modern vehicle, the reality is that I just want to enjoy what I drive. It often seems unwise, but Iím one of those ďlifeís too short to drive boring carsĒ kinds of people. I get away with it because 240s are so easy for me to keep reliable, but 240s donít have truck beds that can get nasty and carry tall things. Also, Iím going to pay like $2k for a truck, so either I cobble together a Hilux with a blown motor and the b23 Iíve got on the ground, or Iím buying a crappy 80s ranger or something I can get for $2k. I do like Tacomas through the 90s, but beat 2wd trucks start in the $5k range. Iím honestly a bit of a TBI Chevy guy as well, but I havenít found something worthwhile at a cheap price point. I completely understand modern vehicles, but Iíve gotten away with relying on well maintained old crap for this long, and I enjoy it, so Iím gonna stay in the 80s or before if I can haha.
TouringMusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
Dan
Fought Covid and won

Make the 245 into a pickup and raise it up a bit. No 4WD, but plenty different
Old 09-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Look around for a 2wd tacoma, 98? up 2.7 and trans. Strong, great trans.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

a 3SGE BEAMS would be cool in a RWD mini truck

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

1982 Toyota Pickup Truck RWD - $2,495

A little bit rough but you can make your money back on one job.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote