• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gotta lay off the crackpipe

dirtbag240

So a thought experiment that's been running through my head for the last little while, and although useless on anything below 300whp

Has anyone heard/seen/thought about a cable or hydro actuated rear wing/air brake on a wagon

I was thinking a cable and pulley setup connected to a handbrake looking lever, to create a sort of "DRS" setup as in for straightline speed drop the wing and end up with more of a rear shroud like one sees on boniville cars as well as hypermilling cars And the. For corners or hard braking have a notch system like a stock hand brake for either downforce or extra drag to slow down

Thoughts, insults, random emojis?

just use a lever, pivot, and a high torque stepper actuator, Arduino, speed sensor, and tell it to move x@y and there you go. Add in a second set of commands for braking and use the brake light switch to trigger.

with the amount of wally world robotics kits, I dont see any road blocks other than design or fab skills. Then you just stop by the local middle school and talk to the robotics club. Talked to my niece the other day about active downforce, she was all over the the idea and wants to try her hand at the coding portion of robotics next term. She just finished the engineering tactics for a nifty drive system. I was impressed.

just use a lever, pivot, and a high torque stepper actuator, Arduino, speed sensor, and tell it to move x@y and there you go. Add in a second set of commands for braking and use the brake light switch to trigger.

This.

I wanted to do this to my 780 by incorporating the "wing" into the deck surface and have it pop up @ ~45mph. Worked out down force, stepper motor positioning, clearance inside the trunk etc etc.

Never got a round tuit. Plus the cost was way, way more than I thought it'd be. Those stepper motors get pricy. Even with solenoids. Gets expensive quick.

though I did incorporate something similar to driving lamp pivots.

Long ago a guy up in northern nj built a twin engine 850. I think his was a sedan. Used it for one lap of america if I recall correctly.

Looks like that split wing should do the job.

Back