• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

I'm running the late Volvo 940 dual-speed fan, low speed is at 92c right now (just ordered an 82c switch because 92 is too high), high side is currently unwired but is going to get put on a hard switch in the cockpit.

In the OP, Dave Barton mentions an adjustable temperature switch -- anybody else have any experience or suggestions for this? I would love to be able to fine tune my temperature range rather than spending $25 on a Saab-style switch whenever I want to change the range. Being able to adjust it to match my thermostat and everything would be nice, plus I'm a bit of a control freak.

anyone familiar with the e-fan from a 99 s-80? just pulled one today and it has a purple wire i am not sure if it gets a voltage signal or some sort of ground.

How have the results been with the 3 prong switch listed above (Coolant Fan Switch Temp Rating : No. 1 On At 194 Deg. F., No. 2 On At 207 Deg. F. - Coolant Fan Switch Thread Size : M14 x 1.5")?

I'm planning on running that on a car with an 82* thermostat and really want to keep the install as clean as possible using one switch with that thread pitch.

edit: Holy moses, i found the mother of all 2 speed electric fan switch listings for EU cars...

http://www.adapart.eu/katalog/200.pdf

Last edited:
Questionni,

I have a full efan setup from a 940 ready to go in. Modified the shroud, mounted it, relay already wired, etc. Only wires I need to hook up now are the low speed, high speed, and power cable for the rig.

The switch I'm using is a Wahler 2 speed thermo switch from a Porsche 944, terminals marked 1 and 2, and the third terminal has none. Does this get grounded itself to the chassis or can it be left unplugged?

Thanks.

3rd pin should be grounded. the 940 relay works by activating low/high speeds when the appropriate pin on the relay is grounded, in this case via the temperature switch.

Those pics are helpful!

So if I have that exact same setup right now, and am running my low speed to the temp sensor, how would I splice in a cabin-mounted switch that would activate the high speed fan?

Do I just take the high speed wire and put a switch on it then ground, like so?

volvorelay.jpg

Anybody wanna clarify this for me?

So assuming I rig up something like this as well, the high speed switch would trigger the fan whether the low speed temperature switch had been flipped or not, correct?

That's the idea yes, and looks good on paper, one thing I noticed in my set-up is that if I trigger the high-speed when the fan is off- i.e. not going low-high but going from off-high, it CAN blow the 30a fuse because it spikes pretty hard kicking it on. Fix=bigger fuse? Or always make sure you are already running on slow before you trigger high speed.
If you are wiring high-speed to a cabin mounted switch, you might consider a 3-position switch, off-low-high so you can manually "warm-up" the fan for a sec before switching to high speed. Also gives more user-control.
EDIT: 5/08/2012 Fan works great, using a Saab T in the bottom hose with an 87/92 for the low speed, and haven't used the high speed yet

Here's some pics of the little 'fitment' issues I ran into when putting a 940 fan in a 240 (sorry it's dirty, but that's how I roll!)

Typical 940 E-fan on typical '86 240 DL radiator.

cr3003.jpg

In order to cut it where I wanted to on the opposite side, I ended up notching out for the middle-return hose
cr3004.jpg

Had to notch the bottom where the core of the radiator meets the end-caps, once on each bottom-corner. Then zip-ties and hay-wire FTW!
cr3005.jpg

cr3006.jpg

Last edited:
That's the idea yes, and looks good on paper, one thing I noticed in my set-up is that if I trigger the high-speed when the fan is off- i.e. not going low-high but going from off-high, it CAN blow the 30a fuse because it spikes pretty hard kicking it on. Fix=bigger fuse? Or always make sure you are already running on slow before you trigger high speed.
If you are wiring high-speed to a cabin mounted switch, you might consider a 3-position switch, off-low-high so you can manually "warm-up" the fan for a sec before switching to high speed. Also gives more user-control.

I use a Maxi-fuse. Works every time.

After using both I much prefer the SAAB sender in the lower hose.
Because?

I have a switch in the radiator that comes on at 82C and it holds my temps with the 87C thermostat PERFECT. I love it. Sends the signal to the low speed on the 940 e-fan and life is perfect.

So I finally want to be cool like everyone else, grabbed a relay and some wires from a 940.

However looking at my efan, which was from a s60, it only has two wires going to it, when the fan that the relay was attached to had 3. I read that the red/green are for the different speeds.

Does this mean that my fan is only single speed? I was planning on using the sender in my Nissens for the low speed (possibly swapping for a lower temp one) and then the Saab sender in the lower hose for the high speed.

I would have just grabbed the 940 fan but I am cheap and someone smashed part of the shroud, my s60 one is already trimmed to fit.

Thanks, read this entire thread before, skimmed it again but I'm still kinda unsure.

The S60 fan has something else controlling it, or maybe(likely!) something built into it that is controlling the fan speed based on whatever signals it is receiving. It might be better to grab a different fan, Ansel.

Not sure if this was ever mentioned (I sure never saw it anywhere), but if you're removing your fan and fan clutch, please remember to replace the water pump pulley studs, assuming yours has an unthreaded section near the water pump flange. You should replace them with m6x12 cap bolts, otherwise the pulley won't cinch to the flange and you'll end up with something like this:

8WaPb.jpg

The S60 fan has something else controlling it, or maybe(likely!) something built into it that is controlling the fan speed based on whatever signals it is receiving. It might be better to grab a different fan, Ansel.

Boo, well I will probably buy the fan that goes with the relay then when one pops up at the junkyard. I may test it first.

Back