• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122s wheel sizes (what fits?)

I put a 15 x 7 0 offset wheel with a 195/60 on my '66 Amazon and had practically no clearance between the tire and the upper spring mount. I only tried one side and my car isn't operable now so my experience probably isn't very valid. I know others here are running wider wheels with higher offsets with no problems so I would take their advice. I'm not a fan of the big rim/low profile tire look (I'm old) but a plus 1 or 2 wheel size looks OK. I'm probably going to run 16" or 17" wheels on mine for better tire selection. I have a bmw2002 and you have to go plus 2 to 15" wheels to get any decent tire selection and they are getting slim.

I put a 15 x 7 0 offset wheel with a 195/60 on my '66 Amazon and had practically no clearance between the tire and the upper spring mount. I only tried one side and my car isn't operable now so my experience probably isn't very valid. I know others here are running wider wheels with lower offsets with no problems so I would take their advice. I'm not a fan of the big rim/low profile tire look (I'm old) but a plus 1 or 2 wheel size looks OK. I'm probably going to run 16" or 17" wheels on mine for better tire selection. I have a bmw2002 and you have to go plus 2 to 15" wheels to get any decent tire selection and they are getting slim.

FTFY...

its really too bad that 15" street tire selection is getting slim... Just slap some slicks on it and call it good!

FTFY...

its really too bad that 15" street tire selection is getting slim... Just slap some slicks on it and call it good!

I guess I have not noticed this shortage... I found decent tires for my 242 pretty easily a year ago. Guess I need to look into this...

And no slicks haha... its a daily driver, so i'd like to have a little tread!

And no slicks haha... its a daily driver, so i'd like to have a little tread!

Cheater slicks, DOT approved.

mnh-mhd-01.jpg

Haha yea no street racing the 122 for me. It has years before it will even be worth revving up at a stop light haha. For now i'm just looking to improve the handling, and aesthetics with some wheels/tires and suspension.

I guess I have not noticed this shortage... I found decent tires for my 242 pretty easily a year ago. Guess I need to look into this...!

Ok i looked into what you guys were talking about... looks like the only sizes with some options are the 205/50/15 (Summer and Performance) and the 205/60/15 (All Season). The other sizes near that have hardly anything to choose from. I'm still gonna hunt some free 15" tires and throw them on there to see what they look like. I have the wheels already so I mine as well...

Teeny tiny toy wheels?

205-50-15 is pretty short for a vintage Volvo.

Your stock size that the car was designed around is 165- R [80] - 15 at 25.29" ?

205-50-15 is only 23.07" ? [a full inch + smaller than 240 sedan size.]

Honestly you'd be best off with 195-65-15 which is still a popular size with many choices, and is almost 25" tall.

So yea Mopar police wheels and modern day pizza cutters is all you really need.

Last edited:

Your stock size that the car was designed around is 165- R [80] - 15 at 25.29" ?

Honestly you'd be best off with 195-65-15 which is still a popular size with many choices, and is almost 25" tall.

Yea I see what your saying... what about a 205/60/15?

yep, that'll make the speedo read 70 at 48... the only way to get a set of 40, 45, or 50 series tires on there and keep things close is to go 16 or 17.. oh, and by the way, 205-55-15's and I'm at 3700 rpm at 62mph by gps... if you plan to daily, go with bigger tires!

yep, that'll make the speedo read 70 at 48... the only way to get a set of 40, 45, or 50 series tires on there and keep things close is to go 16 or 17.. oh, and by the way, 205-55-15's and I'm at 3700 rpm at 62mph by gps... if you plan to daily, go with bigger tires!

Oh wow, yea that wont be good haha. I know one thing, I don't want 17's. I guess maybe I should look into 16's.
I'm still thinking the 205/60/15 might work. I don't know if I want to go with the 195. I like the aggressive look of a wider tire. Plus thats the biggest reason i'm upgrading my wheels. Any idea what the stock tire width is? Thanks again for all of the feedback and comments!

I'm not too sure about your detective work there Lou...

By my math he'll be doing 64 at 70, it's only a 9% difference. Unless I missed something.

My speedo had possibly been recalibrated to the 16-225-55 that came on the car, but I switched to a 205-55-15 because they were cheap. Speedo was way off, and tires were tiny enough to have me well over 3500 to keep up on the freeway

I'm not too concerned about the speedo... Now the high revs on the other hand are a concern.

Oh wow, yea that wont be good haha. I know one thing, I don't want 17's. I guess maybe I should look into 16's.
I'm still thinking the 205/60/15 might work. I don't know if I want to go with the 195. I like the aggressive look of a wider tire. Plus thats the biggest reason i'm upgrading my wheels. Any idea what the stock tire width is? Thanks again for all of the feedback and comments!

Bigger than 195 doesn't drive right on the vintage cars anyway in my experience.

So yea Mopar police wheels and modern day pizza cutters is all you really need.

Whoops, sorry for the repeat question. I had forgotten you posted that earlier. When you say it doesn't drive right are you reffering to handling or the vintage feel?

Back