• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeJr. 65 122s project

So I got a few things done over the weekend. I'm still waiting on a few parts before I can finish up.

I wire wheeled, painted, and installed the brake and clutch pedals
163995008.jpg

163995009.jpg

I also mounted the OD switch and indicator light on the dash. I still need to take the trim ring off the switch and paint the letters.
163995012.jpg

I am starting to wonder if the clutch I have for the car will work. It's out of a 140 with a cable operated clutch. It is used but it's in very good shape.
163995010.jpg

According to the green books the pressure plate for the cable and hydraulic are different.
163995112.jpg

So can I use this clutch or not? I'm not sure if the 140 throw out bearing will work with the 122 clutch fork either.

I'm getting a little closer. I made the transmission crossmember and got the tranny in. I also got the pedals in and the few other things.
164059917.jpg

164059915.jpg

164059913.jpg

164059916.jpg

164059762.jpg

164059911.jpg

164059914.jpg

164059908.jpg

I got everything done but had a small set back...
164104305.jpg

The transmission was grinding going into 3rd and also popping out of third. Then it got stuck in 4th and wouldn't come out.

I think the junk yard transmission is junk.

Plan B for now is a M40. I have one from my dads 140 when he swapped his M41.

That'll due for the meet. I'll figure out the M41 later.

Sucks cause the OD worked perfect.

Got a M40 in for now while I sort out the M41. I really won't need an overdrive for the mountain meet anyway. I just need to get a M40 driveshaft.
164111195.jpg

164111196.jpg

I got the M40 driveshaft in last night and drove it to work this morning. The M40 shifts great, and is really tight, just no OD. I really didn't need OD going into work though. All city driving. The M40 and 4:10 rear gear are a nice combo for city driving.

The carbs still need to be tuned. The previous owner said he rebuilt them, but never tuned them. Its seams to be running rich.

I'm still having to double pump the brakes, but its not as bad. I'm going to re-bleed the brakes, and see if that helps.

howd the brakes turn out?
They are a lot better, but not 100%, more like 90%. Still have to double pump to get 100% firm pedal. It's something with the rear brakes. When I clamp off the soft line to the rear brakes I get 100% firm pedal. I adjusted the brakes as far in as I could without them rubbing. I adjusted the e-brake, I bleed the brakes several times, and there is no air whatsoever. Everything back there is new, so I don't really know what else to do. I'm just going to live with what I got I guess.

I'm thinking about doing an 8.8 for several reasons. For one I've done it before in a 122, and it wasn't too big of a challenge. Also I could get a limited slip, disc brakes, 4:10, and retain the same bolt pattern. Plus it would be strong as sh!t, so I could beat on it, and not worry about breaking it. They are cheap, and the parts for them are cheap too.

They are a lot better, but not 100%, more like 90%. Still have to double pump to get 100% firm pedal. It's something with the rear brakes. When I clamp off the soft line to the rear brakes I get 100% firm pedal. I adjusted the brakes as far in as I could without them rubbing. I adjusted the e-brake, I bleed the brakes several times, and there is no air whatsoever. Everything back there is new, so I don't really know what else to do. I'm just going to live with what I got I guess.

I'm thinking about doing an 8.8 for several reasons. For one I've done it before in a 122, and it wasn't too big of a challenge. Also I could get a limited slip, disc brakes, 4:10, and retain the same bolt pattern. Plus it would be strong as sh!t, so I could beat on it, and not worry about breaking it. They are cheap, and the parts for them are cheap too.

I'm in the same boat, I think that they just need to be worked in, mine seem to get better (or I get more used to them) ever time I drive the car.

Back