• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Firewall split woes; 1982 245 Manual

nuclearj

Hello all, I am having trouble with my clutch cable and the firewall.
As you can see in the pictures the firewall is cracked and needs some welding done. I am thinking that is why I've been having problems with my clutch adjustment not sticking. I just replaced the clutch cable less than two weeks ago. At that first initial install and adjustment it was shifting like a dream! And gradually I could feel it getting tougher and tougher to get into first gear.

So I am guessing that because the split in the firewall was getting bigger and bigger, my initial adjustment is getting more off and therefore making it tough to shift. That is my guess as I am not a mechanic but am pretty handy. What sayest you all? Also, how much work is involved in removing and replacing that firewall part? I saw one posted on ebay for $50.

I am going to get it welded in short order here so that is a given. At least I
will have one less "moving part" to contend with.

Thanks for your insights!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ZPN1RLaBcxUZom1A

It's going to be a ton of work to get that firewall panel removed. I personally would repair it in place if you have a welder on hand. It would be less work that way.

Good price but the adjuster is missing. You can reuse your old one if you still have it.

s-l1600.jpg

1377669GemoClutchCable240.jpg

Ah man. I do not (mine has been gone a long time) and I do not suppose that the other ones work on this one? Like would the white plastic adjusters be compatible?

No, because the adjuster for the metal sheath cable actually screws up and down the spiral cable itself.

Welp, the search continues! Should I just cancel buying this or do you all think it would still be worth it to hold onto this? I'm thinking the adjuster is going to be even harder to find!

Got the OE cable w/adjuster.
Install an OE cable and a washer and RTV on firewall for now?

Go find a firewall panel and the 4-5 hours to change it later?

Not sure what you mean here but I got the oe cable without the adjuster. Are you saying I can add washers and use RTV on it? I should be able to get it welded before the end of the week, next week. So, washers and a quick fix I'll not have to deal with. No, if it gets welded, I'll not switch out the firewall panel. I was just curious on the thoughts of the action.

So just a quick update and question. I've got the firewall welded so that's good. And it was shifting well for about a day and then the shifting got worse. It gets more and more difficult to get it into first. What could possibly be changing for it to gradually get worse?

Pilot bearing dragging the input shaft, for **** aftermarket cable, maybe a cracked release lever, shut it off and see if it slips into first...worn synchro, improperly adjusted shifter, engine loose to bell housing

Last edited:
Pilot bearing dragging the input shaft, for **** aftermarket cable, maybe a cracked release lever, shut it off and see if it slips into first...worn synchro, improperly adjusted shifter, engine loose to bell housing

Rocking, thanks for the suggestions!

Back