• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutch cable help

Wesdunns70t5m

Hi there, I'm new here and to rwd Volvo's. The car in question is a 1987 740 gle. It's got the b230 engine and m46 transmission. A few days ago my clutch cable pulled through the firewall. I managed to rig up a new bracket to hold the cable, but after one test drive my adjustment nut broke into many pieces. My car came with a cheap aftermarket cable with the plastic adjuster. I've been looking for one with the metal threads, but have only been able to find one for a diesel application. Would this cable work with my car?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Gemo-Clutch-C...%3Aefb730281590a787f7a61ef8ffad0b7b%7Ciid%3A3

In the description it doesn't mention diesel, but when I look the part number up it does. If this won't work, does anyone know where I could get the cable with the metals threads? Thanks in advanced!

I always check the yards around here, and in over a year I've yet to see another manual redblock car sadly

I'd rather spend more on the right one then try and fight a cheap one.

Yeah, I bought one from those people for my 240 because of the picture. Liars!

Hold out and try to get the metal cable. If it is for a diesel it would still probably work because the only change for the M46 in a diesel is the bell housing to match the VW engine. If you can find it the aftermarket metal cable was made by GEMO. But they seem to be discontinued at least for the US supply of parts. Try some of the suppliers overseas like CVI or Skandix maybe they can help. I don't know.

I was in the same situation, crappy clutch cable pulled through the firewall. I made a small square plate to reinforce the hole. I drilled a 1/2" hole in a 1/16" piece of steel, then put a tapered prybar end into it and kinda mushroomed the hole for strength. I heated it up with a torch first to soften it a bit. It took a bit of tinkering and fitting to get the grommet to fit just right. Then I simply welded it over the existing hole, taking care not to set the carpet on fire, and painted it. I put some corrosion resistant coating on it too (cavity wax) just to be sure. I actually made a video the other day because the trw cable made me so mad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2G2PUKinXQ You can see my booger welds and the plate I made. I know the welds suck, I have a crappy welder at home and didn't want to blow through it so they're kinda cold, whatever. I think eventually I'm just going to swap to hydro.

better than any welds ive ever done :lol:

A grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't! I have a $2000 miller at work but for some reason I like to use my $100 HF welder because who wants to go to the shop when it's the weekend?

I just noticed FCP has this now:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-clutch-cable-740-272365

Looks sorta like a pro parts sweden one, I've also gotten a crappy Made in Israel one from Autozone that didn't have the liner on the cable that this kinda looks like, but this one is $100! It also has different colored plastic on the adjuster end and looks to be a bit higher quality. Anyone seen these before??

I thought the OEM ones were made by TRW and the same junk as everywhere else, maybe this new oem one FCP is selling is a new production run?

Edit: Screw it, I ordered an OEM one from Volvo, cost me $76 and I'll have it Tuesday. Hopefully it's good quality, I'll let you guys know!

Last edited:
Finally installed my OEM cable, mine said Made in Germany and was definitely a metal tube wrapped in plastic with a bare steel cable pre-lubed with white lithium grease. The adjuster end was plastic but tinted green unlike the trw cables. Probably impregnated with oil. No creaky clutch and pedal feel is much lighter! I ordered mine from the dealer and saved $20 vs FCP and had it in two days.

Back