• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help IDing a turbo...

XxJenoxX

Skin Suit
I'm thinking that there's probably a general turbo ID thread somewhere, but the lack of search leads me here instead.

I picked up a 1983 242 turbo +IC a few days ago, and the BOV is blowing oil all over the strut tower. This is obviously no bueno, so I need to ID it so that I can fix/replace/upgrade. All I know is that it's been upgraded from stock. I took a few pictures, but let me know if they're not sufficient and what else I should get so that you guys can help me out.

Numbers:

5b7533b0.jpg

Overall:

32a859a9.jpg

Oil problem:

64ede0de.jpg

I appreciate any help IDing as well as any suggestions for how to handle problem. Thanks!

Tdo4-13c.

Install hose from blow off valve outlet to driver seat for a whoosh of air up your skirt when you shift.

Yeah, we all know you don't need any oil up your skirt :-P

But really, should it be venting to atmosphere?

It may be a wore-out turbo, blowing oil past the seals. Find a 15g :D

That's what I was thinking. Jay and I are heading to the yard tomorrow, but I doubt we'll find anything. Turbos usually get snatched up immediately. But I'll start looking for 15g online. ASAP is obviously ideal for the time frame in which I should get it fixed, but should I really not be driving it in the meantime? Anything I can do to help the situation until I can get a new one in?

Also, how hard is it to reclock a 15g, or where would you go/how much would it cost to have it done elsewhere?

On second thought, it seems another Mitsu turbo would be easier, if yours already has one. Water and oil lines, etc.

Your 13c has a built in CBV (that's not hooked up), and an external BOV? You've definitely got something weird going on there..

should I really not be driving it in the meantime? Anything I can do to help the situation until I can get a new one in?

Also, how hard is it to reclock a 15g, or where would you go/how much would it cost to have it done elsewhere?

I would just get a stock outlet hose for $5 and remove that BOV. Then just reconnect your vaccum hose to the CBV on the front of the turbo and enjoy your Volvo.

As far as all that oil...that is blowby past the piston rings. You just have an old engine that burns oil. Just clean out your intake system and PCV system and drive the car until you feel like rebuilding or replacing the bottom end to stop your engine from consuming oil.

Perhaps more details are needed...Everything is working fine. The car holds boost like a trooper, and pulls just as hard as jay's 855T5M. I am not concerned with messing with how this car boosts just yet. I've only had the car for a few days and have not done any digging as to how it's set up yet. I have doubts that what the BOV is spraying is blowby. It only has 30,000 miles on the rebuilt motor. At some point, it was apparently running 15 lbs of boost and the head gasket and BOV blew, which is when/why it was rebuilt. And it really doesn't smell like blowby...trust me, with the 850, I've been sucking blowby fumes for nearly a year now.

I don't know much about turbos, but couldn't it be the oil seals? In terms of being an upgrade, I know it's bigger than what was on it when my friend/his dad got it. Not sure what was on it at that point. Upgrading would be nice, but I'd rather see it working properly first.

I think my next move is to clean all that up and see how much is really coming out and under what kind of driving conditions.

Also, I found three 850s, one 740, and one 940 all with their turbos intact at the yard today, along with a handful of 90+ manis. Try as I might, didn't have the tools or lubricants to pull them.

I have never seen a Volvo turbo leak oil into the compressor housing. It is usually just PCV oils. Unless your turbo has some mean in/out play, I would just leave it. Or go with a fideengee.

what yard did you go too...?

maybe if i come down saturday nite, we could get out to the yard EARLY...pull it and i can help you clock it...

ive had some experience working with turbos...

let me know...

Back