• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M47 swap on 87 740tw?

blackswift bicycles

hey guys so i am doing a swap from a aw71 to a m47 i think it is. and i am having space issues. i have noticed the trans is much smaller and i think all i have to do is put the shift linkage from a m46 to put the shiftier where it belongs. am i right in thinking this?

You need a 740 shifter support thingy and the appropriate shifter rod. That, or you could lengthen the 240 one if you're good at measuring and cutting and welding. If you go easy on it you might be okay with the M47, I put an M46 in mine and it's held up just fine, but I don't drive stupid or try to shift super fast like it's an S2000 or something.

As already mentioned, it's probably an M47 from a 240 - the shifter is a couple of inches further forward on a 240. Probably easier to find a 740 shifter than weld on the 240 shifter.

The M47 probably isn't any weaker than the M46 is - they're the same internally as far as gears 1-4 are concerned, and it's usually 3rd that blows up. And it's not shifting that blows them up (although there are probably lots of different failure modes) - in many cases it's jsut too much torque in 3rd gear. Shift slowly, smoothly, then floor it, and as the boost hits, rrrriiippp.

I.beat on my 5 speed for two years before it went . 15 psi was the least amount of boost it ever saw..it blew out in all gears. I should also mention it had 320k miles before I installed it in my car. Just got finished reinstalling an auto back in the car

I have the pressure plate , flywheel new clutch disc new clutch cable and clutch pedal assembly if you are interested...oh and a brand new shift knob ..all factory Volvo oem parts

thanks brentwood but i have every thing but 7 series linkage and trans mount and i sold all the auto parts i cant stand autos just not my thing lol and still waiting on a custom shift knob from deeworks thank i ordered around Christmas

Back