• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Back in a Brick! 1990 240 DL LH 3.1 M47

VolvoMan1990

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. I come from a VW background (1990 Jetta, 1990 Golf, 1995 Mexican Beetle) but this is my second 240! My first was a gray '93 Automatic. Great car, just too slow for me in automatic fashion. I'm a huge believer that cars are best enjoyed manual (not trucks, I mean cars as in the opposite of trucks).

I had been searching for a manual brick for a while and managed to find this gem out in Arizona. My dad and I flew out, picked it up, and drove it back 15 hours to Austin, TX. It's a one owner brick with all specs ordered straight from the factory. These include the LH 3.1 fuel injection and the M47 manual transmission.

Specs:
Milage: I believe I broke 300K? Not sure when the odometer stopped working, but I bought it at 298K miles.
Engine Code: B230F
Transmission Code: M47
Injection Style: LH 3.1
Color Code: 400 (Gold Metallic)
Interior: Tan Fabric
Build Date: 5/90

I'm currently working on improving it where I can. Some tasks & items so far:
  • Bought replacement tail lights (lenses were cracked)
  • Bought new dash blanks to replace the altimeter and exterior temp gauge from previous owner
  • Bought a new radio that has bluetooth capabitlity
  • Bought a Turbo cluster with Tach
  • Bought a replacement Passenger side mirror
  • Bought a replacement center vent as current one is missing the bezel
  • Bought a replacement dash temp knob (for the A/C)
  • Bought NOS OEM dash gauge surrounds for when I install Oil Temp & Volt gauges

I'm also doing a full belt replacement (timing & drive), tensioner replacement, oil seals, plugs, wires, dizzy, rotor, and valve cover gasket.

More to come soon!

These are the pictures from the original listing:

00000_kceWGONX9A2_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00Z0Z_22gPmafeJKb_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00h0h_8KgtdRw8oV1_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00303_axFmQWitNoF_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00t0t_IDqbW7ZAXU_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00l0l_bafi1lBSltA_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00505_kgUq6xpckWK_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00q0q_6JmNKUTUWvi_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

01212_38MEwTpYttN_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

01111_9RxaehfPRCK_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

00h0h_jcakcK0Zcqb_1200x900 by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

Working on the timing belt & oil seals:

Untitled by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

Untitled by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice! Welcome to the zoo.

Thank you!

Been working on little thing so far:
  • Fixed headlight switch surround with JB weld
  • Gave a sharpness to a tab for the A/C temperature control knob panel
  • Got to work installing my new tach into the cluster. Also installing the temp & gas gauges to, (1) match the glossiness of the tach and (2) I like the letters that are not on the original cluster.
  • Installed a replacement side mirror since the car didn't come with it.
  • In the process of replacing the mirror, found that it would be a good time to sort out the non-operational central locking on the passenger side. In the process broke some of the trim that was so fragile so I have to sort that out as well.

Untitled
by Volkswageneer1990, on Flickr

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

New 90 sedan

Looking good! Good find.

Maybe you should get a fuel pump relay to put in your glove box if you have not already. To me that's kind of like a simple insurance policy should it fail on you. I actually used one I had to "rescue" a fellow 240 owner who had his car not want to start if the tank was below about the half way level.

Keep the pictures coming !

:nod:

I like how organized your thread is already. Nice work. And I also agree, an m47 makes these cars totally different, in a good way.

Thank you! And yes, my old 240, an automatic, I had to "make" the car shift by giving and taking on the throttle, made for a horrible ride.

Looking good! Good find.

Maybe you should get a fuel pump relay to put in your glove box if you have not already. To me that's kind of like a simple insurance policy should it fail on you. I actually used one I had to "rescue" a fellow 240 owner who had his car not want to start if the tank was below about the half way level.

Keep the pictures coming !

:nod:

Thank you! I have heard that advice before, luckily, the car came with an extra one, so I should be good there!

Recently finished up some work:
  • Installed tachometer, coolant, and gas gauges
  • Installed GLE (?) steering wheel. Managed to grab a setup with all parts I needed, including the contact ring
  • Installed a cheap ebay bluetooth enabled radio. Works great and was a simple install. Will be saving up for a Continental radio that looks OEM spec!
  • Installed OEM Front Fog Light switch in preparation for the install of a pair of universal Hella fogs I have
  • Went to start the car, and no still no dice, so I looked up the codes and found that I had 1-2-3 and 2-2-4 (fuel & ignition respectively) so I will be troubleshooting them this weekend by fixing the harness first and then replacing the CTS after if that doesn't work.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Some more work:
  • Sorted the CTS fault. Turned out the CTS wasn't even plugged in. Plugged it back in and it started up right away.
  • Took the car for a spin and sure enough another issue. No speedometer or odometer. Worked a bit on it again double checking my work and no dice, tested the sender in the diff, and apparently it failed, but before replacing it ($165 new) I went to a local junkyard, picked up a cluster from a 90 as well as luck would have it.
  • Replaced the speedometer unit that I had with the one from the junkyard, set the mileage correct, and took it for a spin, voila. It works.
  • There was another 240 in the yard, a 91, so I pulled the brakeline junction box from it as I know I need it for the conversion to a brake fluid float warning system rather than the pressure driven system that appears to be broken at the moment as evidenced by my successful bleeding of the brakes 3 times and still a brake failure light.
  • Unfortunately, the 91 had the old reservoir and the plug just sitting in the bay, so I was only able to get the junction box I need. I was able to source the fluid reservoir from eBay though. Should have all I need to make the swap soon.
  • I also replaced the broken and tatty tail lights with a new set I bought off eBay. Fanstastic set, not cheap at all. To protect them in the future, I covered them in Lamin-x film. It's not the best looking around the edges, but I would rather have a 90% perfect look and protected rather than 100% perfect and exposed to breaking and costing me another $134.
  • Unfortunately, in cleaning the interior, I found that the drivers side floor is SOAKED. I'll have to figure that one out. Any thoughts anyone?
  • That's all for now. All set to get inspected and take it around the block a bit more to ensure it can continue making another 300K.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Last edited:
Took out the carpet, inspected, yes, it was definitely wet, so I took out all the soaked foam and took a closer look. The color looked greenish? But I put down some towels and let it stay there for about a week during which Austin got quite a bit of rain, and the test concluded that no water seemed to be getting in...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Back