• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242, Now What Do I Do?

It's that or ocd; but thanks! Re-clocking the turbo and figuring out all the lines is taking a bit of work but it's a fun adventure. Drilling the turbo mounting holes proved to be challenging!

I admire folks that have the passion and persistence to tackle projects like this. Great work, looking forward to following your progress.

Thanks Square D, your car is definitely an inspiration!
Hi CW Plan is 3" for 3' then transition to 2.5" TME system that came with the car.
Hey DD, I used por15 engine enamel on the intake; the 90+ came to me already coated with something unknown. It was in the trunk of a 244 my friend Slicknerd and I bought for $75 and drove home. I saw that mani and noticed it was machined flat and redrilled/tapped and coated so I grabbed it!

Why did you mill your exhaust manifold flat if you are using a volvo turbine housing?

Hi Ben
I got the 90+ manifold already milled. And it seems it was drilled and tapped as well (3/8-24 thread). I'm not sure as this is my first go around with redblocks! So much to learn.

Today I got a little more accomplished;
Removed the studs from the angle flange hot side and drilled the holes out (cobalt bit was a must, that high nickel cast is tough). Found that the upper rear stud and the hot side had a clearance issue

So I had to trim the flange to accommodate...

That was raw and it has now been smoothed out. Then a nice coat of cast iron grey from por 15

Next up is reclocking; the pins are out, the cchra is cleaned and I'll tig weld some mounting studs on the housing for the fasteners. Then the oil and water lines. Whew! I hope the 16T is worth it!

Also, thanks Matt for the kind words! Time is always an issue; I'm fortunate to have this summer off.

Robert is a great friend (transported those louvers from CA to MI) and we're lucky to have him in the Volvo community. He also has a 740 that he is building for his brother as a gift. So he likes all of them!

Mock up with the angle flange/90+/530 head with downpipe

And going to un-shroud the exhaust valves and lower the compression a bit.

Just a bit! Also gasket match the intakes and exhaust manifolds to the head.

I love me some Robert DIY Spinner videos! Cool that you guys are buddies. I love your project. I don't have the cash or space to do something like this.

Unshroud = remove material at the gasket surface around the valve? And the larger chamber volume will lower the compression a bit?

Unshroud = remove material at the gasket surface around the valve? And the larger chamber volume will lower the compression a bit?

Yes, you remove material from inside the combustion chamber around the valves increasing the CC of the chamber, lowering the compression.

Correct! The engine is a 95 squirter b230f (high compression NA), the head is off a 90 b230ft and was milled 2mm not too long ago. As I'm doing the plus T, I want to lower compression a bit. Anyone know a formula or have a simple method (my favorite) of figuring out how much I should take? With just removing a bit I figure I should be ok, but would rather know more about it. Also I'm gasket matching the head and the intake and exhaust manifolds. I've done v8 porting and some whiteblock porting. This is my first crack at a 530 head...

Started porting today (after cleaning all the interior ductwork and washing down the exterior and the loose body parts)

Also de-shrouded the combustion chambers...

3 down one to go!

Thanks Kardboard+! Finished the last chamber

And completed all of the exhaust ports. As many have said before, lots of opportunity here. So far about 5 hours into the porting. A lot of this time was spent cleaning the carbide burr of the aluminum. Finally used muratic acid and that works like a champ!

Back