• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

66 122 - The car I shouldnt keep but like too much

Dude.... that tanks needs to be in a landfill yesterday! That's scary! Those headlight covers are the same as AC Cobras, they're all over Ebay for $15-$25/pair

I'm supposed to go check out some hulls tomorrow, some of the cars were Amazons. If there's a gas tank in decent shape, do you want me to grab it ? Cover shipping and it's yours (assuming there's one to yank)

Thanks for the offer, that is super nice of you. I have a good tank already, it's a little dented at the bottom but I should be able to push it out when I take off the fuel sender. I do however need a front seatbelt. My donor car was a year off and it's different. It wouldnt be a big deal but the bolt holes are different and so are the threads in body.

old on the right- one out of 65 on left
ckrA6ci.jpg

one that I need is on right
LCs9pnw.jpg

Last edited:
Matt is sending me a replacement belt. Thank you sir.
My other headlight grill came in... I would install it but it's raining cats and dogs right now

What should I use as a sealant between the tank and body of car?

Matt is sending me a replacement belt. Thank you sir.
My other headlight grill came in... I would install it but it's raining cats and dogs right now

What should I use as a sealant between the tank and body of car?

I just used some clear silicone, and it seems to have sealed well, and won't be a pain to remove because it's not adhesive. Seems like it'll work?

Been a while since I did anything to this car

Today I cleaned up this page and fixed the links from photosuckit. Sure takes a long time to do this

Got around to replacing the fuel tank with one that I got from the 65 junk car. Dented at the bottom and some rust inside. I will clean out the rust from the inside with molasses - the old school trick

all the screw heads were rusted so I just sanded them down. I made sure to smoke and take off the sender to try to spark the fumes - but with no luck
A7xFLdah.jpg

Z3UKtzJh.jpg

thank is out
zoNkOfRh.jpg

This is the replacement that I'm going to use
1NqWAmZh.jpg

cleaned the top
5QizFNSh.jpg

fuel sender has seen better days
u9IWTjGh.jpg

wAemg2Qh.jpg

dented at the bottom but it was pretty much free
YHBPDech.jpg

Last edited:
Throw some rocks from the driveway and shake it around!

Bill Hursch sells a good tank sealer, I've used on a lot of different cars and I have never had an issue. Glad to see you working on this thing again.

Throw some rocks from the driveway and shake it around!

Bill Hursch sells a good tank sealer, I've used on a lot of different cars and I have never had an issue. Glad to see you working on this thing again.

The "new" tank doesn't leak

I did the old tumble rock clean with a small motorcycle tank and wanted to just go and buy a new one by the time I was done. It takes a LOT of shaking to clean it.
I'm off to home chepo to get more goof off and look for some "matching" spray paint. I'm cleaning the trunk up while in there

removed most of the sound deadening with a razor blade. If you get it at the correct angle it comes off easily without scratching anything. Wire wheeled the rust off and sealed it with rust seal. Not done yet, just pictures are always good...
pXjW1Sjh.jpg

applied the same stuff to the tank
YXT2uV5h.jpg

Last edited:
The sealer prevents rust, it's not meant to patch. I was tired of replacing filters on a Land Cruiser and did its tank, it was night and day.

The sealer prevents rust, it's not meant to patch. I was tired of replacing filters on a Land Cruiser and did its tank, it was night and day.

ahh ok that makes sense. I will look into it. Thanks

Found a hole that I will patch as some point. Crappy spot to cut out but I'll manage. Rusted from the inside out.
zv2JXtih.jpg

test spray - kind of matches but it's satin
1hkPIp3h.jpg

ready for paint
2rN3D4yh.jpg

First coat. I also need to patch part of the butt cheek. I'll attack the rust when I'll fix the floor boars inside the cab (soon)
PQvGHTCh.jpg

V83MsABh.jpg

Well that came out nice. If you ever want to sell this thing for fairly cheap, I've been thinking about swapping all my 140 turbo stuff to a 122...

Back