• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Third Motor Mount... Still RF mount?

The further up the engine you mount it, the less force it will impart. It's all leverage, the distance from the crank/driveshaft centerline.

Which is why the 240 mounts are so weak to begin with. They're tucked in tight next to the engine, which amplifies the torque. Plus they're at weird awkward angles, so they are in shear and not compression under stress.

I've thought on and off about hacking up a suspension arm and welding in a piece to the bay for some more stability.
The latest one I like is how Mr. Brown did it (re-used air pump/smog pump holes with a plate and ties to a bracket his strut brace) but my turbo plumbing gets in the way.

Will continue taking notes.

Exhaust side "push" using '76 B21F air pump bracket on the head, plate welded to the chassis, an old motor mount, and some thread rod + spherical joint.

148945109.jpg

Intake side "pull" using square tubing, and old torque rod, and some plate welded together and bolted to the intake. Worked well, rattled some bolts out of the turbo that held the wastegate actuator on :lol:

159768385.jpg

Different engine; same principle -- rear upper suspension arm repurposed into 3rd motor mount/torque arm. Connects driver's side head to frame rail.

What does the engine side of that torque rod mount look like? Is it bolted on bia the header bolts?

Back