• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1981 Body Harness - What's the blue wire?

Boomin850

I'm in the middle of replacing the main 8-pin connectors in my '81 due to some previous owner negligence (literally a screw threw the connector).

There was one wire that was completely missing on the engine-side of the harness...it's blue. I found it looking through green books and it's referred to as a control pressure regulator. Any ideas??

Reference - Dave Barton Wire Harness Repair PDF

Control pressure regulator is a part of the k-jet injection system. Not sure why there would be a wire on the body side but not on the engine side, unless your car no longer has k-jet.
Pm me your email address, Ill send you the complete 1981 wiring diagrams. Its 36 mb in 2 pdfs.

Last edited:
No idea what’s going on. I have this and a random white wire to figure out. The white wire is a solo run near the main harness too. Any help is appreciated! I’ll send you a pm now

1BmBI

Diagrams sent. Have fun......The answer is there but it can be a myndfunk.....;-)

You think you have it bad, you should have seen fridgidaire, therealmarks 740 when he got it. switches and wires run everywhere that may or may not have done stuff.....turbotimers, stereos, etc hacked in and then hacked out again......

The blue wire is the ignition RUN connection in the 8 pin firewall connector in original Volvo wiring. Someone has changed something if the car runs.

Last edited:
Awesome, I?ll spend some time with the diagram and the car today and see what I can figure out. I?m replacing both 8-pin connectors with new Molex plugs, so this will just be part of that process

control pressurwe reg.
It was on the diagram i posted a pic of, apparently the link died last night.......

you are looking for the CI system diagram.

It goes to the starter, not the starter operation but to an internal contact within the starter. From there various places.

I was incorrect about the wire going to cpr. It goes to the fuel pump relay. I attached the diagram i originally linked. Sorry about the size.

Attachments

• volvo-gl-wiring-diagram-with-schematic.jpg
    volvo-gl-wiring-diagram-with-schematic.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 27
I was thinking, you may want to check the ignition switch wiring. In the diagram above, the blue wire is the fuel pump power trigger from the ignition switch. Perhaps it has been re/hotwired...

On my 1980 242 the blue wire was the only wire that was hot during cranking and run positions. It ran the coil and the power stage under the hood, not sure about fp relay but that would make sense as well. I know I needed to hook it up to the computers when I did my lh2.2 install.

Back