• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Timing belt slip

UPDATE:
Went over, compression was 125ish on all. No bent valves. But I still dont know what caused it to slip off. SO here are the things I replaced.
Cam,
Timing Belt,
Tensioner Pully.
Also the wear marks are not lining up with the belt on my cam gear, is there a spacer for behind the gear?
There was oil coating the belt too from a leak that I caused and just fixed.
Could any of that be the problem?

UPDATE:
Went over, compression was 125ish on all. No bent valves. But I still dont know what caused it to slip off. SO here are the things I replaced.
Cam,
Timing Belt,
Tensioner Pully.
Also the wear marks are not lining up with the belt on my cam gear, is there a spacer for behind the gear?
There was oil coating the belt too from a leak that I caused and just fixed.
Could any of that be the problem?

I think spacers were only on the earlier engines? None of the 88-93 b230s I?ve taken apart have used a spacer. Sounds like you?re out of time or missing something obvious

No. Oil on the belt did not cause it to come off. I have encountered plenty of Volvo B21/23/230 engines with leaking cam seals where the belt was saturated, yet, it stayed aligned on the sprockets. What you probably have going on is a tensioner roller that is running at a slight angle.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning there should be 2 washers at the crank gear, correct?

The crankshaft gear fits with a keyway and has a dome shaped washer in front, then the balancer, then a big metal washer, then the big bolt that should be torqued correctly but usually just gets two or three grunts worth from the breaker bar.

I'm pretty sure the cam gear uses a spacer behind it. I've installed it before without it on accident and noticed immediately that there was gear showing. The belt should cover the gear entirely. But I have an adjustable gear so maybe this needs one but the original doesn't.

Check the tensioner like was said. I've had issues trying to get that sh*t flat on the block, but then again, I'm not the smartest.

I don't see why that would cause the belt to slip though. flat pulleys usually have the crown in the center to help the belt stay centered. Do the gears have a crown? Don't confuse my question as a stab.

I might be wrong but I feel the tensioner is doing most of the work keeping the belt on. If the gear is off 1/16". it'll probably wear out quicker, but it should run.

How is the spring in the tensioner? I read you replaced the pulley only. How does the rest of the tensioner assembly look?
You can check pulley alignment with a straightedge. If you lay it across the faces of 2 of the pulleys, it should touch both edges of both pulleys if everything is in line.
My guess is the belt came off because it was under tensioned. Or there is a burr or something behind the cam pulley inducing runout.

I don't see why that would cause the belt to slip though. flat pulleys usually have the crown in the center to help the belt stay centered. Do the gears have a crown? Don't confuse my question as a stab.

I might be wrong but I feel the tensioner is doing most of the work keeping the belt on. If the gear is off 1/16". it'll probably wear out quicker, but it should run.

Ah Nevermind I was thinking that belt slipped *off* the gears, not jumped time. My apologies. I agree that if not tensioned properly, it will probably easily slip time.

I have a cheap tensioner on the wagon right now I think, and every time I loosen the tensioner nut, the tensioner bends outwards. Cheap piece of crap. I thought I bought the INA too which I heard was better.

Ah Nevermind I was thinking that belt slipped *off* the gears, not jumped time. My apologies. I agree that if not tensioned properly, it will probably easily slip time.

I have a cheap tensioner on the wagon right now I think, and every time I loosen the tensioner nut, the tensioner bends outwards. Cheap piece of crap. I thought I bought the INA too which I heard was better.

Sorry I should have explained better. It slipped off completely.

Sorry I should have explained better. It slipped off completely.

That's the way I was interpreting what you were saying. That usually has to do with the tensioner running at a slight anle. I had a brand new tensioner that caused the belt to want to move forward on the cam gear immediately. I still have to send it back to FCP Euro. They don't carry that brand anymore. I'll bet I didn't get the only one that did that.

Back