• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mirror Glass Retention Variations 240/740/940

FreeEMSFred

Hello world,

I have four (more or less) functional Volvos, and one that used to be.

Of those Volvos I appear to have (had) 3 that were of the notches-in-the-bottom style like this:

DCfpAEdU0AAUPz4.jpg

One of this type: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BodyGlass.html#MirrorGlassandHousingRemoval

On my 93/94 940 wagon.

And something different again with a rubber bellows on my 88 244.

So: Just how many variations are there on these things?

And how do I pull the ones on the 244 if I should need/want to?

Is it a case of heated/non-heated vs late 940 manual?

I see videos showing older manual mirrors using the same clip as the power ones.

And the hole in the middle screams of "put heater here" on the standard ones (91 245, 90 744, 90 945).

125 views over 10 days, and not a single solitary reply? Keen for answers to these two:

So: Just how many variations are there on these things?

And how do I pull the ones on the 244 if I should need/want to?

Any takers? Pretty please? With sugar on top?

125 views over 10 days, and not a single solitary reply? Keen for answers to these two:

Any takers? Pretty please? With sugar on top?

The subject is dear to me, for sure. But I've not amassed any useful knowledge. My guess is the mirror that locks in with a screwdriver from the bottom opening was last used in the US 240s in 1990 models.

And of course, I think there are 5 types if I go back to the metal mirrors, and include the remote motorized and heated varieties. Maybe more. I've spent already too much time trying to learn the taxonomy.

Within the last two weeks I've replaced two of those with the nylon rotating lock ring -- just fell out -- and my confidence in how I'm getting them locked in is zero. Thinking of adding some sort of bubble gum fix to at least keep them from falling out completely, when the driver doesn't take notice of the looseness.

I had two fall and break, but in both cases the glass came off the plastic backing plate. In at least one of those cases it was a previous owner's DIY repair job, not the factory adhesive.

Will update if/when I figure out the 88.

I’ve seen 740s with power non heated windows with the white plastic ring with the teeth like that.

My 92 960 and all the ones later than that that I’ve seen have the newer style with 4 clips going around. (AFAIK all 960’s got heated mirrors). They are a bitch to remove without breaking one or both of the power motors behind it :l you have to be real careful.

What's involved in installing the "glass only" replacements off Ebay or Amazon? I presume they don't come with the plastic mounting setup - do you need solvent or something to unstick the old glass?

My current mirrors are pretty scratched.

I had two fall and break, but in both cases the glass came off the plastic backing plate.
Not a volvo, but I was driving an 89 chev pickup at 130km/h down the highway and i see the driver side mirror kinda shaking in the wind. I wasn't sure if it was the glass or the housing shaking so I stick my hand out the window to see and before i touch anything, the glass falls right off in my hand. :omg:....

Back