• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Walbro or Deatschworks?

I could barely hear the whine from either of my Walbro's, AEM 320 in the wagon now is just a touch quieter, enough I can't hear unless I REALLY try and listen for it.

I was really nervous about the 450 I put in being too loud based on the reputation of other Walbro pumps, but was pleasantly surprised. It's just as quiet as the DW 300 I had in before. The 450 is a great pump, I only hear it when priming, can't hear it at all when the car is running.

I'm looking to upgrade my fuel system after a trip to the dyno indicates I'm running out of fuel. Should I stick with the tried and true walboro 255 or something from the DW catalog? I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I'll be attempting to braze a larger nipple or AN fitting onto a stock fuel rail. The car has k-jet piping which appears to be 8mm up to the fuel filter. I'll just bypass the k-jet pump and use an 8mm line to the rail from the 740T filter. Anyone know for sure the size of a stock filter outlet, I'm thinking it's 12-14mm?I don't plan on running E-85 anytime soon, so I'm thinking 8mm all the way through will give me enough volume on pump gas.

What size injectors, what base fuel pressure, how much boost, and how much power are you aming at?

The k-jet -909 and -957 pumps are close to 180lph up to about 7.5bar (108psi) total pressure. That is pretty good. The original fuel rail and lines are really capable too.

I was running a walbro 255hp pump with my b21, with deka 60's, a 55psi fpr (that dodge thing) and 32psi boost on top of that. I was running out of fuel already before 350whp. Just because the total pressure was too high. At 87psi the walbro only pumps out 160lph. That's 2,67 litres a minute, and my injectors (708cc @ 55 psi) needed 2,83l/min.. In the datalogs the dutycycle would be off the chart, but not because the injectors were too small, but because the fuel pressure was dropping and forcing the injectors to open for longer periods of time to deliver enough fuel. So I switched to the "new" dw300 pump which is rated at ~220lph@90psi.

Choosing the right pump is not as easy as just looking at flow @ 3bar on a turbo car.

What size injectors, what base fuel pressure, how much boost, and how much power are you aming at?

The k-jet -909 and -957 pumps are close to 180lph up to about 7.5bar (108psi) total pressure. That is pretty good. The original fuel rail and lines are really capable too.

I was running a walbro 255hp pump with my b21, with deka 60's, a 55psi fpr (that dodge thing) and 32psi boost on top of that. I was running out of fuel already before 350whp. Just because the total pressure was too high. At 87psi the walbro only pumps out 160lph. That's 2,67 litres a minute, and my injectors (708cc @ 55 psi) needed 2,83l/min.. In the datalogs the dutycycle would be off the chart, but not because the injectors were too small, but because the fuel pressure was dropping and forcing the injectors to open for longer periods of time to deliver enough fuel. So I switched to the "new" dw300 pump which is rated at ~220lph@90psi.

Choosing the right pump is not as easy as just looking at flow @ 3bar on a turbo car.

K-jet pumps= good, airtex in tank pump is a bottleneck, which I'm still running even though I now have dw300 my garage. I think I'm going to run all new 3/8" hard lines under the car and an eBay fuel rail with all 3/8" rubber lines.

i like the aem 320 that i installed. it is quiet enough that you only hear it if you're really listening for it. it seemed like more than enough pump for me since theres a little headroom above a 255 walbro. and it was on amazon for about 100.

Yeah, the stock wiring will work until you start pushing the pump very hard. I wouldn't even bother using the stock wiring other than for a control circuit honestly. It was intended for a pump that might draw 7A at full tilt. I'm not sure what the 450 draws but my AEM 320 is rated at 15A at full tilt. Swapping to a relay back near the pump I picked up over 1v at the pump itself at idle, let alone when I'm at WOT and the pump is having to work a bit.

Will the stock 240 wire and relay be suffice for the walbro 450?

no, nor is it sufficient for a 255. You will need to run new higher amp wiring to the back for the bigger pumps.

Also, if yall aren't using submersible grade fuel line in your tank, you WILL have a failure (ask me how I know :cough: ), so if you did that.. uh.. maybe go back when you have a free weekend and replace that with the good stuff. It's expensive, but you don't need a lot.

I've gotten good service out of the 450 in the v8 car, it's not loud at all, barely noticeable when the car isn't running and absolutely drowned out by everything else when it is.

I tell ya what are loud pumps tho... bosch 044's. you can hear those a mile away, intank or not lol

Last edited:
I've always gone by the rule of thumb, if it's bigger than the original electronic unit it is replacing: rewire with heavier wiring and use a dedicated ground for reliability.

I used a relay for my fuel pump and increased my fuel volume by 25% (increase voltage by 2) in my GLH. In most cars, the fuel pump wiring is shared among other components. Using a dedicated 12v wire from the battery to the pump via a relay is like a fuel pump upgrade in itself.

No need to believe me, go measure the voltage at the fuel pump voltage while the car is running and compare to that to the voltage at the battery.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/s...s-before-and-after-fuel-pump-wiring-in-my-GLH

Also, if yall aren't using submersible grade fuel line in your tank, you WILL have a failure (ask me how I know :cough: ), so if you did that.. uh.. maybe go back when you have a free weekend and replace that with the good stuff. It's expensive, but you don't need a lot.
+1.

For the people - You want SAE J30R10 submersible fuel hose. (current standard as of this post, these types of things do tend to change over time)

I've also used PTFE Fuel Tubing from Radium and a few other vendors with success.

Cry once buy once and all that.

The deatschwerks DW200 I got came with the universal install kit that had a fuel hose with it, so good on them.

For me it was ID 12mm for everything going from the pump to the fuel filter. ID 8mm on the return.

EDIT: Fuel pump install and wiring pics on my 740 (LH2.4)

I upgraded the stock wiring from the pump to the chassis harness connector since the original in-tank pump only draws like 3A and had itsy bitsy teeny weeny wires. At the harness there's a good size wire leading to the connector, looks like the same AWG as was provided with the pump.

The black and white wires I robbed from another connector I had laying around to replace the puny pink and black leads.

zt6G2oCl.jpg

MF2YAiyl.jpg

4PwC9IJl.jpg

Last edited:
Back