• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cadillac Brakes on a Volvo 240

Sure, but some sort of baseline or metric would certainly make this a bit more objective.

OP - do us all a favor and try to provide before/after stopping distances.

Already planned. It is part of my report I am writing to do a before/after test (Weather Permitting)

Very nice,thumbs up!

Anyone try the LS400 95+ 4 piston brakes yet?
Mumbo jumbo,let me dig up a pic can sometimes find em at JY's if the SC300/Supra guys haven't beaten you to em.

$_12.JPG

I thought about this mod too. Those Caddy brakes are all over ebay.... but.... brake material counts for a lot as well. Since mine isn't a daily driven car I don't mind using a compound with better braking power. Rotors are a wear item.

Let's us know how it turns out tho. Grind that writing off the face and paint them. It'll no doubt look awesome. :-)

You consider that an engineering test?

The least you can do is datalog with GPS and get accelerometer measurements... unless this is 3rd grade science fair. :-P

I hope you didn't take that seriously.

I am testing by doing a 60-0 and logging the acceleration. From that I can gather stopping distance, but really all I need to compare is acceleration.

John. The s60R rotor is a brembo rotor for big brembo brakes. It was literally designed with brembo monoblocks in mind, by brembo, in 5x108, for a 3700lb car.

330mm diameter rotors and theyre 32mm thick.

Here is a guy using Cadillac Brembo calipers with volvo brembo rotors.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454448

It also looks like volvo used 315mm up front on the racekar.
44.5mm pistons

The cadilliac brembo rotor is 40/44 mm pistons.

So what are you going to say now?

Last edited:
I hope you didn't take that seriously.

I am testing by doing a 60-0 and logging the acceleration. From that I can gather stopping distance, but really all I need to compare is acceleration.

60-0 is more about traction, size of tires and front to rear balance than HUGE brakes. My '80 242DL with solid rotors front and rear will threshhold brake from 60-0 on larger than standard tires. Once you are threshhold braking .... It don't get better.

The point of BIGGER brakes... Rotors, pads ect is to be able to make that stop more than once without boiling fluid or fading brake linings with perhaps less unsprung weight.

Oh... The Brembo calipers in my rallycar sport cross-over tubes. I'd prefer internal crossover to prevent damage due to rocks on stage. But you didn't know that.

John. The s60R rotor is a brembo rotor for big brembo brakes. It was literally designed with brembo monoblocks in mind, by brembo, in 5x108, for a 3700lb car.

330mm diameter rotors and theyre 32mm thick.

Here is a guy using Cadillac Brembo calipers with volvo brembo rotors.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454448

It also looks like volvo used 315mm up front on the racekar.
44.5mm pistons

The cadilliac brembo rotor is 40/44 mm pistons.

So what are you going to say now?

The pads may hit OK, Only a mock up will tell (think of the arc a 330mm disc make--and the pad that hits right on the edge, and thing of that pad laid on a 315mm disc---the edges are going to possibly overhang..

Volvo used a HUGE bvariety of calipers--or at least they HOMOLOGATED a big variety...
What I have measured with my handy Very-Near electronic calipers on several cars--including 240s---this size weight and approx speed is 2 x 1.5 and 2 x 1.625 aka 38/41.3 or 4 x 1.625

I have made kits and tried 4 x 1.75 and if you make the pedal feel good, it will be very powerful and waaaay too touchy.

If you do the areas a 40/44 will be close enough to 42x42 that its a wash...

I wonder how physically large these are...Some OEM Brembos are big clunky units.

60-0 is more about traction, size of tires and front to rear balance than HUGE brakes. My '80 242DL with solid rotors front and rear will threshhold brake from 60-0 on larger than standard tires. Once you are threshhold braking .... It don't get better.

+1 this! ^

Back