• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 e fan in a 240 effective in SoCal heat?

I've been wanting to do an e fan swap for some extra power, throttle response, and because I absolutely hate the whooshing sound when I accelerate from my clutch fan. I'm just wondering if the fan would be effective in the heat of Socal.

It does not get 'hot' in socal, yes it will be 100% fine. the key part is wiring it up correctly and getting it to come on and off at the right temp, along with having it come on with the a/c.

I live in a slightly hotter state and have used that Volvo fan (and shroud) on a 2002 GMC Sierra 5.3L making 300bhp, a pretty much stock 2000 BMW e39 (i6) and then my 350+whp 744.

Now the rest of your cooling system might have issues, is the Rad new or newer? flushed? using good fluid? free or leaks or debris?

most of the answers to your questions are just a search away

yeah all them POWA you will feel
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8uJNd0_VA1w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Socal heat laugh out loud, my efan only comes on whilst sitting in traffic for a while in our 95F/95% relative humidity real man's heat.

Recalling that World Series game #1 last year in LA, it was like, 102*F at first pitch. But it's a dry heat...... as they say.

As TLAO said earlier, the key to the E-fan performance when retro'd is using it as designed for cooling & AC. As inexpensive as they are, and well designed, I'm surprised more folks don't retro to the ancient 2 series cars. Don't forget the SAAB tee in the suction (return) hose and WAHLER temp switch 82*C (off 78*C) and you'll be COOOOOOOL.

I use a stock 940 fan on my turbo ls car, the shroud is pretty hacked tup to make it fit and my car never overheats. Even when sitting in la traffic or even when blasting up the grapevine in the heat of the summer

I've been wanting to do an e fan swap for some extra power, throttle response, and because I absolutely hate the whooshing sound when I accelerate from my clutch fan. I'm just wondering if the fan would be effective in the heat of Socal.

Does this car have an intercooler or AC condenser in front of the radiator? If neither then it should be ok with a 940 fan. If it has those, then no. It will ultimately produce less airflow through the smaller 940 shroud opening that the stock belt fan can pull.
Dave B

Does this car have an intercooler or AC condenser in front of the radiator? If neither then it should be ok with a 940 fan. If it has those, then no. It will ultimately produce less airflow through the smaller 940 shroud opening that the stock belt fan can pull.
Dave B

No AC condenser or intercooler. Although it is weird that I have an AC knob in the car. I usually keep the fan on the lowest setting.

Quick question: Why is there an AC knob if I don't have AC? And sometimes when it gets bumped by a passenger, the fans turn on.

Blah blah...Go for it..Its a veritable tornado..Tape/close off the gaps around the shroud..
The propellers on the pulley are annoying..you can hear them when car is approaching long before the exhaust.
just do it right.

(and make sure the rad isn't jam packed with junk-n-stuff)(That's a problem where it never gets cold cause people never change the anti-freeze and normal use consumes the anti-oxidants in the coolant and nasty stuff seems to settle in the rad. But a minty fresh clean 240 rad is a good rad andworks into the high 200s in HP in long sustained boosted use)

Blah blah...Go for it..Its a veritable tornado..Tape/close off the gaps around the shroud..
The propellers on the pulley are annoying..you can hear them when car is approaching long before the exhaust.
just do it right.

(and make sure the rad isn't jam packed with junk-n-stuff)(That's a problem where it never gets cold cause people never change the anti-freeze and normal use consumes the anti-oxidants in the coolant and nasty stuff seems to settle in the rad. But a minty fresh clean 240 rad is a good rad andworks into the high 200s in HP in long sustained boosted use)

Yeah the rad was the first thing to get flushed when I got it back in 2017. The temp is always just under half even on the days when it gets into the 90s.

Okay I know I need a 940 fan with shroud and the whole relay assembly, that's obvious. Or is the 940 fan able to be screwed into the stock NA shroud?

I found this switch: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152183175523

But what's this Saab tee I keep reading about? Is it just a t junction that I'll have to put into the upper radiator hose that allows me to screw the temp switch in? Is there a part number?

Last edited:
What you need is something like this. It has ports for both a temp sensor and a fan switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasport-Ho...rentrq:bf219f361650a9cb27a1385efffd5083|iid:1

s-l600.jpg

Back