home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #251
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Can you like, turn it into a stepside bed?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #252
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
I separately fused the big lighting load (on the new big wires) so that only the current needed to energize the relay coil goes through any of the original fuses/wires/switches. with 80W/100W and 100W I'm using 40A fuses. You can see it 'hit' the voltage gauge when the egg-friers come on.
yep yep, me too. I just had it fused the same way as my 242 setup (20amp) and was surprised that the double hundred's popped it. I'll chuck some man fuses in there.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #253
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Ah.... FWIW, I too started with 20's and popped a couple on extended runs with the bright lights on, moved to 40's. No problem since...
Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #254
Funkee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Can you like, turn it into a stepside bed?
Funkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #255
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
The engineering and fabrication skills here are strong, looks like Volvo's answer to an El Camino and Ranchero. I personally wouldn't care to own either, but this, this is bad ass.
The Volchero...... muy bien!

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #256
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Took a few weeks off to overhaul my daily Viggen. Getting back onto this, mostly with the intent of sealing it up, making it driveable and putting some DD miles on it (and to get my 242 in the garage for a couple weeks to get ready for the perpetually delayed New England driving season).

Didn't take any pictures, but we did bend up a piece of 1" square tube and fit it into the gap at the bottom of the hatch where we got the bottom off. Clamped it into place with the 3m body adhesive and that stuff certainly does what it is supposed to. Oh, should note that Mike K Sr. spent some amount of time carving that square tube up so that it wasn't too heavy for the lift struts.

Also used some seam sealer to goo-up the front section of the bed where we built the corners and the water dam for the hatch. Had some bigger gaps in the corners (must need to calibrate my 3d scanner and CNC table.. oh wait we built this thing on top of a garbage can with an angle grinder..) so mixed up some epoxy and thickened it with micro-balloons which were dug out from some far corner of the work bench.
*open container to a poof of dust*
"cough cough, this is a lot finer than I expected, cough"
"what's it made out of?"
"glass"
"really?"
"yeah..."
*covers nose with shirt*

I used a section of the roof to make a cover plate for the inside of the tailgate. I originally made it out of a piece of the 14 gauge but it just made the tailgate way too heavy. It's held on with cap heads threaded into the 1" frame so it's removable. Will run some weather strip around to help with water and rattles.

I used a spare amphenol connector to make a little jumper for the license plate lights. It's long enough to stay connected with the gate down, but can also be unplugged for convenience, and it will tuck away with the gate up.

While I fiddled around with door panels and trim, Senior worked on the James Bond license plate. It's mounted on a hinge to provide hideaway access to the received for the tailgate support post. Yes, test fit was a bit crooked and will be fixed - we'll forgive him

not only does it flip down to hide the magic, it's also visible from behind with the gate down AND it will be illuminated!

I'll congratulate ourselves a bit on how this tailgate is coming together, it is really the thing that sets the car apart and is a completely unique solution. This morning Senior emailed me:
The tail gate is my favorite part of the truck
• Lots of fabrication in the steel curved top piece that came out really well – and we beat the **** out of it after warping it all to hell
• Bonding the steel cap to the aluminum – counter sunk welded in studs!
• Connecting the aluminum tail gate to the steel frame
• The drawer slides with the pivot bushings
• The too-cool male and female support parts
• And a swinging plate

Yeah... it's damn cool.

Oh, I glued in my test windows too. So the cab is now closed up. Made a bunch of windows and I'm glad I did, because now I know exactly what I want to do for the final product.

In general I was unenthusiastic about basically reassembling the car just for this summer, only to undo it all and get back into body work. BUT, I'm glad to be doing all of this test fitting, trim figuring etc with the car in primer and not in color. Although I can feel it will be hard to get motivated to tear it down and finish the bodywork

Last edited by Stiggy Pop; 04-16-2018 at 06:20 PM..
Stiggy Pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #257
alschnertz
Enough already!

Been said before, but you guys are doing very nice work.
The tribute to a 122 wagon hinged license plate is excellent!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #258
Ursan
الله الفول السوداني شطائر

Hey, where are the updates at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
I think this might be my chariot if I can jew the price down.

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #259
GTJordan
Been here for too long

You should build a canopy (or "topper") out of the back half of a wagons roof. Throw it on. You know, just to mess with people.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #260
mikezohsix
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
Hey, where are the updates at?
When I saw the thread at the top of the list I figured Stiggy posted this weekend's accomplishments!

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but we actually put his dirt bike in it this weekend.
You'll have to wait for pictures, but I will say that the structure to catch the front wheel and keep it from pushing on the aluminum lift gate is pretty slick...
- it's a driving car now with a 350hp all aluminum LS1 with T56 six speed manual transmission, and it hauls ass! Check the for sale section if you're interested in the car - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235015.
mikezohsix@yahoo.com
mikezohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #261
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
You should build a canopy (or "topper") out of the back half of a wagons roof. Throw it on. You know, just to mess with people.
it has to be a different color though, right?

Ya ya, we've been working. Actually need to spend some time doing maintenance work so it's more viable as an actual car. A lot of work lately has been focused on getting it to a point where I can play with it for the summer.

I am still playing though. I bought a bunch of 945 accessories mostly so I could get this

I also got the big FOHA rear hatch spoiler. I really wanted it, but when I did a taste test with the V90 spoiler I easily preferred the smaller one.

The tailgate got a couple of finishing pieces made, and the cheap and cheerful treatment for grab handles and latches.

side note: I spent weeks chasing my tail to complete a set of 960 tail lights with the notched side... and now I think I might want stock amber? maybe it'll depend on what color it ends up

Fitting the bike: using the full hatch and making it open posed a challenge when thinking about putting a ~220lb motorcycle in the back. Since the hatch is mostly glass and partially aluminum I can't shove the front wheel into it, and can't just build a fence. Kicked around a few ideas and ended up with a two-piece removable cross bar/wheel chock setup.

We have a lot of 1" square tube, and a little bit of 1.5" square tube left over from the hitch brace. The 1" got bent into the cross bar, and the 1.5" was used as the receivers. Cut a hole in the inside of the bed, and made a recessed pocket for the cross bar.

So, the cross bar passes into the pocket so it clears the other side of the bed, then sets into another piece of 1.5" that is blind to the inside of the bed wall. Both sides of drilled and pinned with push button locking pins.

Next needed to make something to catch the front wheel. One thing that became clear right away was that the rear wiper meant the wheel needed to be offset 4" to the right! I also wanted to make sure that the front wheel couldn't ride up over the support and run into the glass. This turned into a wheel chock/pocket made to catch the front wheel and provide good support. This had another piece of 1.5" square tube welded to the back. The cross bar had a piece of 1" added vertically, so the wheel chock drops on and secured with another locking pin.

As soon as it was cooled off I grabbed the bike and gave it a try. This really was a lot of fun, a great feeling to see the car serve its purpose. I started the whole thing off saying it'd be cool to have a Volvo I could move my dirt bike with, and as goofy a vision as that is, here it is realized.

the wheel chock. I'm going to add tie-down points to the cross bar.

A perfect fit

A few more things to check off the list and I can take this thing riding. I really need a respectable set of wheels and tires for it. I also really wish it could be on airbags. Even if it was just in the back..
Old 06-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #262
slow240
Home Schooled

Lift it!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, stock, awesome.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #263
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Really coming along nicely -- not surprised! Finally figured out -- if VW had made 'club cab' version - the profile view reminds me of an old Rabbit Pickup except 1 1/3 scale.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #264
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
Lift it!!!!!!!
Idk I keep think about it on airbags and nice wheels! That said I already have three cars that run 45 sidewalls or less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Really coming along nicely -- not surprised! Finally figured out -- if VW had made 'club cab' version - the profile view reminds me of an old Rabbit Pickup except 1 1/3 scale.
there's a guy in my parking lot at work with one of those, definitely going to get some pictures next to it.

I'm having fun this afternoon on Facebook lording my 6' long bed over everyone else's ute . The Swedes really like to call it nothing special so need to remind them that I didn't slap it together with diamond plate and a 4' square box of a bed like they do!

It looks like this is going to make it to the eEuroparts show at Lime Rock on Saturday, so doing some preppy stuff for that. I put in my new Recaro and a leather wrapped steering wheel - nice improvements! The Recaro is soooper comfortable. As part of that lot of parts I also received 2.25" stainless cat back exhaust pieces which I would like to get installed as well.

Again from that lot of parts I also got a 3-row Nissens rad which is the same as what I have in my 242. Really want to use it to replace my leaky stock one but it's not the same shape as the later 940 one. I have intercoolers and piping from older 940's, anyone know if it's relatively easy to retrofit? Slam panels different?