• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

Great work man! Fun to see pics of an old volvo cruising around my back yard! Those are some long steep pulls coming from Baltimore. If the car made that trip it will last a long time haha

Hard to believe that it was almost 6 months ago since I first got the car running and went from this:
sadaBefl.jpg

To this:
QdNaBaZl.jpg

I drove up to Uniontown today to show Ray (the PO) what became of the car. He was pretty thrilled to see it on the road.

I figured out why the first battery died on the way out here.
It wasn't a wiring issue, it was a belt issue. The Dayco belt I had was too large (long and 1/32 too wide) and let the alternator slip under any load.
I was checking my wiring last night as it wasn't charging the battery still. After having a friend rev the engine while I held the voltmeter on the battery, I smelled burning rubber that I normally wouldn't smell while driving the car. I swapped on a slightly narrower but nasty crusty belt, and I could hear the alternator whirring and the battery was sitting at idle at 12.7V and charging instead of 11.6 and discharging like before.

I also ordered a pair of new carb floats and needle valves from Joe Curto to the tune of $80 :omg:. I've been having a chronic issue of gas pouring out of the vertical brass float bowl vents and discovered the square replacement jets I have are fouling on the floats. Joe confirmed this as the cause and has seen it many times before.

I'm currently debating what to do in terms of a powerplant. I definitely need more than the stock(ish) b20 can offer.
I thought about supercharging with the HIF's, but to spend the money and time to make the pulleys and tensioner system, I'd rather get a properly sized turbo and EFI and be able to make much cooler (read: intercooled) boost vs the "hot air" of a blower.

Not as extreme as dan's car: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=145074
But reliable at like 8 psi to bring the power up to like 200hp.

Turns out the issue wasn't the belt at all!
After putting the right belt on, the alternator completely failed. Advance auto bench tested it, and the windings had come "open" (broken wire somewhere). They warranted it and I installed the replacement today. It makes 13.5V at idle and at 3k sits at 14.1. I am very happy with that.

I ordered a pair of Bilstein HD's for the front and KYB Gas-a-Just's for the rear. I suspect my sag/harsh/mushy ride is mostly due to original shocks that are long since blown out/seized. If that doesn't improve the ride, I will look more into a set of sport springs from VP.

Next on the list is a set of driving lights, re-webbing the seats, a better steering wheel, and front speakers.

The PV has about 160 - 165-ish HP, but while the torque is nice even down low (2.2 liters), most of the HP comes up higher in the RPM range. Which means you're revving the piss out of it. Which is LOADS of fun, but apparently fairly hard on stock cast pistons.

Oh also, sorta-update.

Bilstein HD front and KYB Gas-a-Just rear shocks arrived from RockAuto today. VP shipped my seat clips, new brake booster valve and gasket, and some small hardware stuff today (Eta of Thursday), Pirelli webbing and pinch clips will get here Saturday, and I scored a set of $45 NIB Hella 500's on eBay that'll get here next week.

I figured out at least part of my high idle issue. I was getting gas today, and fiddled with the carbs and decided to pinch the booster vac line and promptly discovered that the idle dropped about 500RPM. The booster works well when the engine is under vacuum, so I suspect the valve/gasket is leaking enough air to create a problem.

Yeah, sometimes using 3rd. To be fair, it was fully loaded with me and my brother and easily 500 pounds of ****.

Should climb at 55 even fully loaded with a BW 35 up into the Sierras at 6K feet elevation IME.

Oh also, sorta-update.

Bilstein HD front and KYB Gas-a-Just rear shocks arrived from RockAuto today. VP shipped my seat clips, new brake booster valve and gasket, and some small hardware stuff today (Eta of Thursday), Pirelli webbing and pinch clips will get here Saturday, and I scored a set of $45 NIB Hella 500's on eBay that'll get here next week.

I figured out at least part of my high idle issue. I was getting gas today, and fiddled with the carbs and decided to pinch the booster vac line and promptly discovered that the idle dropped about 500RPM. The booster works well when the engine is under vacuum, so I suspect the valve/gasket is leaking enough air to create a problem.

:grrr:

$$$.$$

Better PM Ian .....

I installed the Hella 500's and new one-way valve today. I suspect my booster is cooked, but I don't care.
I ****ing love this car. It has no right to be as fun to bomb around town at all, yet here it is. I have tried to push the car fairly hard, and am yet to get it to behave poorly. It's loud, it's noisy, it's harsh, and I love it so much.

l6Cm0E0l.jpg

YeG2bIml.jpg

Back