• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 very loud creaking when turning wheels/pressing down on front of car

Eviltwin

This creaking seems to progressively get worse.

I'm hoping diagnose and repair this inane creaking I'm getting on my 1983 Volvo 245.

Everything seems tight upfront, no clunking but a very loud audible creaking is heard when the wheels are turned or when I go over a speed bump.

top of strut mounts look a little dry.

Seems like a big-ish job to replace them...

could it be anything else?

symptoms of bad rack would be moreso whinning right?

I mean it could be any of those things in there. If you're getting it with both vertical and when turning the wheel I'd start with things that are related. Ball joints, the A arm bushings always get skipped for service and could be problematic. It could be your stabilizer bar bushings. So many things.

Gonna have to get under there and see if you can pinpoint it...

my strut mount are cracked when looking from above, I have new balljoints already.
Are these cars known for a creaky front end?

I just want to assure it's still safe to drive for the time being

Could be dry swaybar to chassis bushings. If dry, over time they easily eat away a few mm from the sway...

It could easily be anything in the front end that could create a squeak. What has been replaced on the front suspension? Front control arm bushings can creak and squeak as well as the strut tops, any form of balljoint, even sway bushings. You'll want a buddy/budette to help you with tracking down this squeak you speak of. The squeak coming from my Wife's car is from the front bushings. It squeaks on rebound and compression. If those bushings are original, even though that stuff "seems tight", the fact that the car is 35 years old would illicit replacement of suspension components and refreshing it all.

Also had a massive squeak on both sides when pressing down right at the struts or going slowly over bumps in my 940.
Dry sway bar bushings were the culprit. I put loads of grease in them and they went silent.

Back