• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Can I Improve the Hood Paint any????

VolvoNutt

K-jet Newbie
The black paint on my ?92 245, in my opinion, from 10ft away is good given that it is original.
Except for the hood, this is showing it?s age something horrible!!

Short of sending it to a body shop, what can I do to help it look better? I do not own any pneumatic apparatus of any sort, so buying all the stuff just to shoot the hood would be silly at this point. Could a shop color match my oxidation? What do you think it would run to have them spray the hood if I sanded it down myself? Just curious

Any suggestions???

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 101
Let them do the job if you have no experience.
I don't have experience with lacquering faded and old base coat, but i think if you want it to be nice, let them fully respray it with a fresh base coat.

There's clearcoat on that hood and it's failing so you're stuck sanding it off and starting fresh like Testpoint said.

That hood has been painted before. The original black did not have clear coat. Had it been OE paint you would have been able to polish it.

Ok Gents! I will look into getting the hood redone. Can they do it so that it doesn?t stand out from the rest of the car?(without costing $500??)

Also do you really think this paint job is not original?? Nel621 made some interesting points.

Doesn't Black fade quicker than the other colors? or oxidize or whatever the term is...get ugly...not pretty...not shiny:lol::rofl:

Here are some reference pics of the entire car:

Attachments

• my_black_245.jpg
    my_black_245.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 78
  • my_black_245#2.jpg
    my_black_245#2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 76
IIRC the black was always a single stage paint, meaning no clear coat just color coat. The paint may oxidize (slight fade/haze ) but not fade and peel like you have. I have a 1990 240 with the same black paint. The only section I'm having an issue with is the top of the right rear 1/4 and C- pillar where an older repair has started to fail due to painter using clear coat. :grrr:

How long have you owned this car? Are you the second, third, etc. owner? Open the doors and feel for a paint edge on the edge of the door. You're trying to feel for a high spot. A detailers' trick to hide a repair panel that may have a paint tape edge is to compound/ polish all of the door edges smooth. Ask me how I know.

If you take a light-colored rag and some polishing compound and rub an inconspicuous area of the body you might be able to tell whether the car has been repainted - if the rag turns black where you rubbed then that area is single stage and original. If it doesn't pick up any color then there's clearcoat on it and that's a dead giveaway of a respray.

Your best bet for resolving this cheaply is to find a black hood from a junkyard, any body shop that isn't completely fly-by-night will almost certainly charge more than $500 to sand it back and repaint it.

I can almost guarantee you the entire car has been repainted. That paint has too much gloss for an original Code 19 paint job that hasn't been recently detailed. If it has been, that is in your favor. It will make matching the hood a piece of cake.

Very interesting!!

I have owned the car for 1 year, purchased from friend who had it for 2 or 3 years. Will ask him about the paint history, maybe he knows something. He may have told me already.... but I doubt it, I forget a lot but when it comes to important things like my play car, well you guys understand :>)

I will go out and feel for a high spot this evening for sure.

Do you think I have a chance of finding a black hood in better shape in a junkyard? I guess if I found one I could buff it out, then it would look considerably better.... that?s what you guys are getting at, right?

Back