• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Turbo tire recommendations. summer spring type driving

242crj

need new tires for my wife's 242 turbo. it has become an around town type with a few road trips 40-50 miles and no winter driving. have studded tires for that. any decent tires I should look at? been running Yokohama's Avid and the versions of that on our cars. any better mileage/wear recommendations....?? last set of yokos lasted from 2005 to now....about bald...so think it is time to change??:roll:
TIA

need new tires for my wife's 242 turbo. it has become an around town type with a few road trips 40-50 miles and no winter driving. have studded tires for that. any decent tires I should look at? been running Yokohama's Avid and the versions of that on our cars. any better mileage/wear recommendations....?? last set of yokos lasted from 2005 to now....about bald...so think it is time to change??:roll:
TIA

These are my favorites for spring and summer..Good strong, square shoulder, reinforced sidewalls---about 1" thick or more, R speed rating, good grip in all but really muddy conditions, available in a range of compounds depending on temperature.

515537.jpg

thinking more like these Yokohama AVID TOURING-S - SIZE: P195/60R15 $76.00 per tire

These are my favorites for spring and summer..Good strong, square shoulder, reinforced sidewalls---about 1" thick or more, R speed rating, good grip in all but really muddy conditions, available in a range of compounds depending on temperature.

515537.jpg

What the hell are those John? Are they DOT approved? Noisy? (Sorry for the hijack)

thinking more like these Yokohama AVID TOURING-S - SIZE: P195/60R15 $76.00 per tire

I'd go with something more performance oriented. The Touring-S tires are meant for Camrys and lower end Accords. They're also no-season tires, so something that you mentioned you were trying to get away from. If you're willing to go to a 205/55R15 size, the performance tire selection is much better. If I stuck with Virgos on my 245, I probably would've gone to that size. But, I decided to go back to Hydra rims, since I like having a little more rolling diameter than there is from a 195/60 or 205/55 15" tire. If you're willing to go to a 16" rim, you can run one of the many 205/55R16 tires available. I'm running the older Bridgestone RE970AS tires in the 205/55R16 size on my 245. Pretty nice tire.

I've been really into the Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Dirt cheap. Lower ultimate grip than a performance summer tire, but incredibly linear and predictable grip. Works well enough in the snow, and really well in the wet.

These are my favorites for spring and summer..Good strong, square shoulder, reinforced sidewalls---about 1" thick or more, Z speed rating, good grip in all but really muddy conditions, available in a range of compounds depending on temperature.

515537.jpg

What the hell are those John? Are they DOT approved? Noisy? (Sorry for the hijack)

just normal non-snow rally tires..Z-rated and the nastiest sidewalls in the automotive world for the crispest turn in ever...They might be DOT approved.
Even worn out--not 'even", when they're worn they make the bad-ass-est road car tires EVAR.. The nicest behaviour on break-away from grip to slide on asphalt.

I did a lot of research and went with Yokohama S-Drive performance tires on my ?84 242. While not a winter tire(mine won?t be driving in winter conditions, I live in CO) often tire?s put in the ?summer? only category are just adept(or sometimes better) at handling rain than as all seasons. I thought that was interesting.

Or at least that?s what I read somewhere? ;-)

Never been a fan of Yokohama after 1 set got wore out early and got hard and slippery at the end. Best daily tire I've had are BFG g-force COMP 2 a/s, I have a set down to the tread wear indicators and they still have decent stick to them. They make a summer version that I'm sure it's even stickier, not sure on sizing though, you might have to upgrade your rims.

Had BFG tires back in the late '90s and early 2000's. Once they got worn, they became NFG's. No f*cking grip. More modern versions will be better, but, this was back when the 195/60, 195/65, and 205/60 tires were more common in performance tread patterns. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce tires. Much better. The old Yoko YK420 was also decent.

119 results for 205/60R15

Yokohama S-Drive in the 205/55R15 size

184 results for 205/55R16

The tires I'm running on my 245...

:uh:

Come on man, can't you remember the storyline?

He's buying tires for his wife's car.

Hey Ken,

Yes, I saw that. I also saw where the OP wants summer performance and doesn't need winter traction, due to snow tires. Hence the reason why I suggested going with a 205/55R15 size, or considering going to a 16" rim for summer use and keeping the Virgo rims for snow tire usage (or selling them to someone who has a DL or a GL that needs an upgrade), instead of putting on a T-rated all-season touring tire on the car. That would be fine as an upgrade for a 244DL. Run a set of 195/65TR15 Avid Touring-S tires. Close enough in diameter to that car's original 175SR14 tires. Unlike most TB'ers, I read the whole post. I also am one who would put the best tires I could onto a spouse's (or mother's) car, since I don't want them dealing with unpredictability. Already dealt with that last summer when my father had the tires replaced on my mother's '01 Cav. He went with the best price point, but not the best tire. Bought Kelly tires in the size you're recommending. A week later, the right front tire blew out. Got it replaced, and everything has been ok since then, but I would've rather had her riding on at least some Turanza EL400's in the 205/60R15 size, since the car did seem to handle a little better when we had a set of Toyo tires in the 205/60HR15 size.

-J

Had BFG tires back in the late '90s and early 2000's. Once they got worn, they became NFG's. No f*cking grip. More modern versions will be better, but, this was back when the 195/60, 195/65, and 205/60 tires were more common in performance tread patterns. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce tires. Much better. The old Yoko YK420 was also decent.

119 results for 205/60R15

Yokohama S-Drive in the 205/55R15 size

184 results for 205/55R16

The tires I'm running on my 245...

I've autocrossed on the tires I mentioned and did fairly well for a 400tw all season tire.

Back