• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AEM Failsafe Wideband experience?

gsellstr

Vintage anti-ricer
300+ Club
Finally done fighting with the Innovate pile in my wagon, been having issues keeping it from overheating yet again.

Given I don't want to add in a 3rd gauge on the pillar, my options are somewhat limited, but AEM's Failsafe wideband is available to be programmed with an boost gauge (so it can take the place of that gauge on the piller) and AFR, along with another variant with a flex fuel sensor. Given I do run a good bit of E85, I'm inclined to go that route, so I can at least monitor what I am getting.

This is the one I'm looking at:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-4911

Any first-hand experience?

I have second hand experience...my buddy uses that on his turbo M3 racecar, and once he got over the learning curve he loves it. Had a bit of "fun" setting it up but then smooth sailing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W1avaQ_wYm8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had mine (boost/wideband, not flex fuel) since 2015. Been rock solid other than the setup software.

I have that exact gauge. Hard to see, but it's the bottom left gauge position. The USB plug next to the hazard switch is for programming the gauge.

fUgIS7Mh.jpg

I wouldn't use anything else. It looks good, reads accurately, no free air calibration necessary, and is programmable. I had a bit of trouble getting the programming software working on my laptop, but AEM updated it and it works fine now. I only have it programmed to flash red if it leans out. I don't use the failsafe, but everything else is hooked up. I have it showing lambda instead of AFR. I also use a continental sensor, not the AEM one because I already had it. I wired the sensor to share the info between the gauge and megasquirt.

If you have the money, there isn't a better wideband in my opinion. It's really nice to have a quick indicator of how much power I'll be making (boost and timing are increased with ethanol percentage).

Good info guys, appreciate it. I'm likely to stay 2.4 at this point since I'm going somewhere with it, but knowing the E percentage would be nice just for monitoring at the very lease, plus evil plans afoot as well.

Thanks!

Back