• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

redblock distributor to coil on plug conversion

rokaskey

Thinking of putting in a standalone ecu in my Volvo. Fuel supply question don't bother as much as ignition. The biggest question bothering me is how to convert it to coil on plug ignition system, since the single coil distributor system seems quite archaic. Has anybody tried to tackle this idea?

Biggest mystery for me right now is how to implement a cam angle sensor. I have a head mounted distributor, and wondering if there are any bolt-on sensors or kits to simplify mounting a CPS?
Also, from which vehicles do CPS fit or almost fit (minor mods required)?

Planning to use VAG 1.8t coils (cheap and easy to find where I live)
Searching info for the 16v engines, but any help is welcome

If you don't plan on switching to sequential injection, then you don't need a cam sensor for COP. You can run Waste-COP with just a crank trigger.

Planning sequential injection for sure, the single point injection currently in is even worse than the ignition system. but that part is more or less understandable.

What about block mounted option? Did all redblocks have the same interm. shaft regardless of distributor location?

For my application a block mounted distributor I'm not sure will work (b234f engine). Also a head mounted option would keep an OEM look

The DSM hall option unfortunately wont work for that same reason.

I believe you can make a block mounted distributor work on a B234F by swapping in an intermediate shaft that has a distributor gear.

For my application a block mounted distributor I'm not sure will work (b234f engine). Also a head mounted option would keep an OEM look

The DSM hall option unfortunately wont work for that same reason.

~$65 for a Buchka (CFloMoto) LH2.4/EZK wasted spark board sure seems like a cheap place to start, instead of $800+ for a standalone ECU that can do full sequential.

That compufire isn't going to do you much of any good with COPs or Wasted COPs...

keep it simple.

60-2 crank sensor (stock, leave it there)... and drill and tap your CAM pulley, slap a steel set screw in it (m4x0.75 should be ok, or a 10-32 if thats what you got), hover a hall sensor over that off some nifty little bracket that won't move if you smack it with a hammer (check out what lassis just posted in the "volvos in the snow" thread), toss in an ms3, MS2 or micro, or even..... ooooohhhhhh sh!t..... MS1 and... wait for it....

done.

But do your homework... Really, all of it, no slacking, no paying the kid down the street... Seriously, just do it, really, its not that much reading.

Last edited:
How about hey telling us what your car is and all that first even?

I didn't think it would be necessary, besides the engine but here you go:
1991 volvo 940 gle
B234f engine
Lh 2.4 with ez116k ignition

That compufire isn't going to do you much of any good with COPs or Wasted COPs...

keep it simple.

done.

I have heard about the compufire route, but i really don't see reason to hack up a working stock ecu. Standalone may seem an expensive way to go, but in my opinion it gives more control over everything.

But do your homework... Really, all of it, no slacking, no paying the kid down the street... Seriously, just do it, really, its not that much reading.

Dont have an option of somebody else doing a hackjob instead of me. Not a lot of people even think about doing something foolish like this

The 2 ways I know of to get cam angle are:

1) Head mounted Hall Effect distributor. Used in 1985-1989 700 series cars. You can buy new from IPD or Rock Auto (BOSCH 0986237605 Distributor);

2) Yoshifab has parts to adapt a Mitsubishi (?) hall effect pickup to the block mounted distributor https://yoshifab.com/store/billet-redblock-dsm-cas-adapter.html

It seems that there was a Hall Effect block-mounted distributor (Bosch 0 237 520 004) on 1985-1988 240s.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/a-1+cardone,31261,distributor,7108

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Hall_sensor/hall_sensor_trigger.htm

So basically the LH 2.2 dizzies for 240's and 740's right?

Back