• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Are there any disadvantages to seam welding?

COLD. Freeze the crap and chip it off.
I've done 4 shells this way, let my now famous "Death Ray Gun" out to 4-5 more guys and the verdict is unanimous: It's truly Soooper Bitchin.
We use Liquid Nitrogen, sprayed on at 2-3 psi out of an simple steel pipe I hammered down the end to make a fan pattern and listen for the crackling of the rubber (the Xratties were being sold here not as Chavmobiles, but as upscale snoot cars so they are 100% slathered in up to 1/2" thick rubberized undercoating. 100% of the underside and the wheel arches.

I did the front of my 242 last summer with dry ice. Took awhile and the suff melted quite fast. You have any pics of "death ray gun" I may have to build something like that to do the other 3/4 of the car before it gets seam welded/caged.

I did the front of my 242 last summer with dry ice. Took awhile and the suff melted quite fast. You have any pics of "death ray gun" I may have to build something like that to do the other 3/4 of the car before it gets seam welded/caged.

Really simple...it's just a piece of pipe with some standoffs out to some perforated or expanded metal which helps insulate your hands. There's a loaner one that John made out on the East Coast right now. This one took me about an hour to make from scrap around the shop:

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

I think as long as you do it properly, there's no prob with that...

could you not just tie-wrap a length of pipe lagging onto you N2 pipe - thats what we use at work when we're decanting it anyway?

Hi all

I have seen a datsun 180B shell after seam welding it sat on only 2 of the 4 jack stands rhf&lhr after the job had been done

The way around warping the shell is to fix it on each 4 corners and weld on one floor and then weld on the oppsite floor and so on

George

Hi all

I have seen a datsun 180B shell after seam welding it sat on only 2 of the 4 jack stands rhf&lhr after the job had been done

The way around warping the shell is to fix it on each 4 corners and weld on one floor and then weld on the oppsite floor and so on

George

Just by fixing the corner this does not mean your body will not be tweaked, you'd need a perfectly flat floor, accurate fixtures, with the known dimensions, chances are the body is tweaked before you even start welding....

note that the standard stitch weld intervals is "one half inch weld every inch and a half"
Far less than most do.
Bump for clarification. Is that 1.5" of space between every bead of weld? Or 1.5" from start of one weld to the start of the next weld? I'm assuming the latter.

Back