• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Going straight / 240 steering "wander"

10615628_10206093085149646_6377208613878650296_n-X2.jpg

:rofl::roll:

Rear springs in.

IMG_6866-M.jpg

I'll be honest, I was kind of freaking when I saw the shorter height. I'm very happy to report that the car actually sits 1/8" higher in rear tonight.

IMG_6868-M.jpg

Hoping the front gets a mild lift.

I didn't read this whole thread because I'm that guy... but when I bought my sedan, it had some odd wander that got way worse on the drive home. It ended up being the steering shaft knuckle thing dropping out bearing rollers. So the wheel had this MASSIVE dead spot and the car would sort of go with however the caster/camber worked best with the pitch of the road.

You beat me to em...I want those blues! But I digress. I must adult, pretty sure the Wife would murder me if I bought springs instead of stuff for the baby. :run:

Steering shaft running from the steering wheel to the rack?

Yeah. Basically it must've loosened just slightly and every time you'd turn the wheel it was just wrestling itself open a little bit more until the needle bearings started falling out. It kind of felt like the car was on a center rail with a wide gap in the guide.

And correct... the steering u joint. The one located in the engine bay though (I think there's one under the dash as well) that effectively makes it a collapsable steering column.

Be advised, if you live in a salty area... it's a PITA to get off. I used a dremel to pull it off in chunks. But overall not a bad job.

You beat me to em...I want those blues! But I digress. I must adult, pretty sure the Wife would murder me if I bought springs instead of stuff for the baby. :run:

They're funny that way. Here's my eldest (now 22) with another POS I fixed up (4 BBL intake, cam, shift kit and rear gear!). Steering wandered on the F100 too. I tried to get king pins for the Volvo, and IPD said they were out of stock.

Tue%20075-M.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. Basically it must've loosened just slightly and every time you'd turn the wheel it was just wrestling itself open a little bit more until the needle bearings started falling out. It kind of felt like the car was on a center rail with a wide gap in the guide.

And correct... the steering u joint. The one located in the engine bay though (I think there's one under the dash as well) that effectively makes it a collapsable steering column.

Be advised, if you live in a salty area... it's a PITA to get off. I used a dremel to pull it off in chunks. But overall not a bad job.

Thx boss.

Inspected four houses today. Three for water leaks and an abandon place (I think the home owner died) that had gone from "cute" to "drug house from hell" in three months. Seen a few of these, but this one took the cake. Drug paraphernalia everywhere. And just to make your day, children's toys in one room. Really sad. Almost got taken down by the cities finest when I was locking up. Cool dude, but he was not taking any chances and I don't blame him. Spoke with some neighbors, they've got a super pro-active neighborhood watch going now because of this place. I think most of us know somebody that has been affected by drugs. Talk to your kids.

It's called a U joint Carl.

Remember the "rag joints" on the old GM cars? They actually held up pretty well in my experience.

Pretty excited to tackle this (possibly) last hurdle on the POS. Lots of little stuff to play with when I have the odd hour, but if I can get the steering sorted, it would actually be a decent little driver. And, maybe, reliable. Good times.

Crap...lemme run out and measure.....

Roughly 26.5"-27"

Awesome. My "spring-hack" drop has the nose at 25.5". Doesn't seem like much drop for 2.5 coils. Maybe my tires are taller. I may have been optimistic that the IPD stuff would raise her much. Sigh. The firmer rates should be fun the turns though. Hope to have them on this weekend. If time permits, I'll run down to the salvage for a PS rack and column.

Back