• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 tire size combination - go up in size?

Hotdoggin

I've got a stock 95 940T wagon... bought it for 625$ and it's in killer shape. Has 15 inch steelies which have decent tires... but I've got bare Hydras. My question, with new struts, shocks and all front suspension components what is the max size all terrains/slightly knobbly tires can I stick on hydras without losing a bunch of travel? Car being used to drive national forest roads, pull a 16ft aluminum boat and hop curbs to get my kayak to several hidden fishing locations. I searched via google and whatnot, and found a bunch of guys who LIFT their cars, but it seems like this car has just as much clearance as a Ranger, so I don't feel the need to lift. Just want to get a little more grip for boat ramps, and sandy roads. Thanks, y'all.

Also, Will IPD overload springs bring the ass-end back up, or will new struts be sufficient? Currently has that reverse rake going on, and I think towing/loading it with gear will just extrapolate that. This isn't gonna be a racecar or anything. More like a nice utility vehicle.

fV3ZzJHl.jpg

Last edited:
Just throw on 31s and drive'r on the backroad for a few. Those grinding sounds and rub marks will tell you which parts of the car to chop out with a sawzall. Its only a 940.

IIRC the Hydras are a bit softer and easier to knock out of round but I could be wrong. The other thing is you’ll likely want to find and invest in an accessory transmission oil cooler for towing and all the hill driving you’ll be doing.

I'm not going to be doing "serious offroading." Just trying to get places I can't consciously take my S60... The gun range here is down 14 miles of national forest road - tried in the S60... No Bueno. I already have an external cooler in the car, I have to put a radiator in it, an plan to install the cooler at that time.

I'm not a hack, just lookin for reasonable OEM+ options without buying a set of tires to experiment with. As stated, I'm beyond my "gonna properly hoop out this car on cut springs for skids" phase. I appreciate the suggestions.

Get a used tire or two mounted up to test at each corner on jackstands. Not many on here will have plus sized a 940.

I'd put some baby ATs or similar on the steel wheels and sell the hydras to pay for it, but that's just me.

:e-shrug:

Fakey edit;

Maybe diesel springs in the front and some rear overloads from FCP or rockauto on a TB™ budgie.

You haul tons of heavy with your car, don't you RWC? 215/55/16 ATs are a safe bet, it seems. I'm kinda set on the hydras, the steelies are bendy in the front.

The car rides alright now, but wallows like a pig. I think im going to put HDs all around and overloads in the rear. Are diesel springs considerably uprated from the NA cars?

The 940 with air shocks seems a reasonable height to get down and around where I need to be.

You haul tons of heavy with your car, don't you RWC?

:nod:

I've had as much as a metric ton on it, and it still drove OK.

:volvo:

215/55/16 ATs are a safe bet, it seems. I'm kinda set on the hydras, the steelies are bendy in the front.

A lot of the off road guys prefer steel wheels because if you chuck an alloy it cracks and leaks air, so they carry a baby sledge to whomp the steel wheel back into shape if it bends in enough to leak.

The car rides alright now, but wallows like a pig. I think im going to put HDs all around and overloads in the rear. Are diesel springs considerably uprated from the NA cars?

Yes they are designed for a heavier engine so they''ll pick up the front end a bit.

The 940 with air shocks seems a reasonable height to get down and around where I need to be.

That's another option for the back, or bags in the coils if you want to keep the stock front springs and level it back out for road work.

Anything taller than 25.2" changes the shift points. Stock 195/65r15 is 25".

A little adjustment on the kick down cable should bring things back into the proper range unless running giant tires.

:e-shrug:

Sold, I'm going to go ahead and refresh everything - get the tires I want on there and decide if rear overload springs or diesel springs up front are necessary. I appreciate all the help!

Not sure how heavy duty you're wanting, but if Lesjofors makes the HD version(14.5mm) version front springs for 9 series, you may not need anything heavier ? * They raised front about an inch(on a 240 wagoon, I'm considering going back to an oe type spring for front)

Back