• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Make your 960 ridiculous: Put some paddle shifters on it!

Its been said before, but damn nice work. I know what the S90's getting in the event this fookin GT ever gets finished. So you gonna start makin kits? :badboy:

It sounds like the paddles don't come into play until the car is put in "D". So Park, Reverse, and Neutral all work with the shifter.

What do you think I would need to adapt this to my S40?

that really rocks, and my mom may well be getting a 960. Between the t6+m90+IRS for the 944, the various v8/SHO v6+TT+MS ideas I've been tossing around for the red 945, and the fact that my mom is looking to get a 960/v90, it looks like I will be needing alot more money for the coming year.

nice job, man.
looks sweet
works well
best of all, YOU did it and ACCOMPLISHED...truly unique item on the car, so dont ever sell it.

patent that ****!!!

...hey, what happens if you leave it in 2nd or 1st and come to a stop??

is it a stall, and shift down to neutral, and start up again.......?

volvo said:
...hey, what happens if you leave it in 2nd or 1st and come to a stop??

is it a stall, and shift down to neutral, and start up again.......?
You can come to a complete stop in every gear up to third. Stock trasmission locks out 1st and 2nd gear as a form of primitive traction control. Its made possible by the high stall speed torque converter.

tjts1 said:
You can come to a complete stop in every gear up to third. Stock trasmission locks out 1st and 2nd gear as a form of primitive traction control. Its made possible by the high stall speed torque converter.
you can come to a complete stop in 4th too! Pulling away though would be really quite sluggish :-D However, do not, under any circumstances, engage the lockup at a complete stop, as you will become very embarassed as you have just stalled your automatic :)

Anyway, as far as selling these things... I don't really know. I gave you guys the whole guide! :-P The thing is, I can really only make paddles for 960's as they would otherwise have to be fit to the steering column of that particular car. Now, I do have access to an 850, so that would probably be somewhat doable, and the control system is virtually identical. But that brings up another thing--the control box isn't exactly 100% friendly.

There isn't an easy way to switch between manual and automatic short of unplugging one module and plugging in the other. It could technically be done with a large data switch, but that would very bulky and would require splicing into the entire module harness. And that again is contigent on the TCM not flipping out when it gets killed during running, and throwing the trans into safe-mode when it comes back online. You'd also have to go into a "safe" gear before switching from one mode to the other, seeing as theres no way of telling one box what gear you're shooting for without a lot more I/O.

Go ahead and send me a PM if you're interested in paddles or a full-manual control box (really intersted :-P ). I'll see if theres any interest in a only-manual type controller.

If full-manual won't work for you, then you may want to wait for a few more months. As soon as MSII gets "stable" and the trippy msns-e features are ported over, I'll get to work and get its outputs to work as a trans controller too. That'll allow both auto features and manual-mode, and it'll give you an excuse to actually MS your car :-D

edit:// smilies! :omg:

Okay, ya know what guys? Gimme some time, I'll see if I can make a good auto-manual switch thingy. Make use of that econ/sport thingy. I'll get back to all y'all that are interested.

Send me some PM's thoguh if you're really intersted in dropping a little bit of money... I can make controllers here in LA, the paddles are the things that really need resources. So controllers and instructions on how to set up your paddles should be pretty reaosnable for me when I'm at school. If theres actual genuine interest... I'll see if I can find a paddle solution that isnt so time consuming...

are there any ford/gm autobox's that could handle 300hp+ and could have this mod done to them? 460le? then us redblock guys could get in on the fun

there's a handful of controllers floating around for 4l60e's already. From a whole lotta companies really, TCI for example. I dunno if I'd really be able to compete with them jsut by their volume ;-) MegaShift does just that, its a full controller. It's been on teh backburner for awhile though. I can guarntee you any Mega- related trans controller will be first made for the 4l60e though...

There isn't an easy way to switch between manual and automatic short of unplugging one module and plugging in the other. It could technically be done with a large data switch, but that would very bulky and would require splicing into the entire module harness. And that again is contigent on the TCM not flipping out when it gets killed during running, and throwing the trans into safe-mode when it comes back online. You'd also have to go into a "safe" gear before switching from one mode to the other, seeing as theres no way of telling one box what gear you're shooting for without a lot more I/O.

Chris, I asked this elsewhere, but, Couldn't you just use a Y-shaped wiring harness (wiring in both the stock TCM and your unit) with a DPDT switch on the 12v powersupply, switching power between one or the other, so that both units are plugged in, but the transmission only "sees" one at a time?

-Evan

this is amazingly bad ass. ive always had something for the automagics and this just officially made me proud. i cant even begin to say how cool this is. good luck, and keep us updated. and i really want to see a vid.

Wow, man! I am really impressed! Way to charge that project and see it through to fruition. Total ingenuity on your part, and you are making the final product look totally professional to boot. You must be stoked! :-D That looks amazing!

-Tyson

I've always, ALWAYS hated autos. With this mod, I might just be a convert. Damn. I hate you, Chris. Really. God damn that's awesome. *sigh*

Hmm , paddles in carbon ??

im more interested in the 850/s70 thing here , since if you can kit it out and it works , i think ill definitely buying something , i need to see it work on an S70 auto tho first .

like i said , paddles are easy for me to do - autoelectrickery , and wiring a PCB somebody else can handle

Back