• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brake calipers

daniels740

I got to replace my leaking rear brake calipers on my 89 740 turbo with 4 wheel ABS and I have no idea what calipers to buy.

At Advance Auto, they have their "Wearever" brand calipers that I've heard are of terrible quality,
Autozone's calipers are NLA, and
Rockauto has quite a few choices, "RAYSBESTOS" being most prominent. What have you guys heard about the brand?

Rockauto seems best to me so far, but I certainly want to learn from others' experiences, being that I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road with brake issues :rofl:

Thanks in advance for your help.

I bought good used oe for my 940 from 2manyturbos, I buy aftermarket junk calipers when I have no other choice.

I'm going to buy the Raysbestos brand reman. calipers, I've heard good things about them.

Not only that, but a huge factor was the warranty. On the Centric calipers, there was only a 90 day warranty, while the Raybestos has an 18 month/ 18,000 mile warranty.

If it weren't for this, I would've bought Centric.

Last edited:
I got to replace my leaking rear brake calipers on my 89 740 turbo with 4 wheel ABS and I have no idea what calipers to buy.

At Advance Auto, they have their "Wearever" brand calipers that I've heard are of terrible quality,
Autozone's calipers are NLA, and
Rockauto has quite a few choices, "RAYSBESTOS" being most prominent. What have you guys heard about the brand?

Rockauto seems best to me so far, but I certainly want to learn from others' experiences, being that I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road with brake issues :rofl:

Thanks in advance for your help.

For parts like this I tend to lean towards FCP Euro or eEuroparts.com. Volvo specific sites with lots of Volvo knowledge. I've got new (re-man) calipers from FCP and have had no problems. Sure, you may have to send the core back and spend a bit on shipping but in my mind, it was worth it. I love advance auto for all their coupon codes etc but I tend to only use them on my more modern cars.

I actually bought Centric, seeing that they were on FCP Euro, except that I got the same exact ones from RockAuto for ~$20 less, since they don't offer a lifetime warranty that raises the price of all products.

This was after I had to send back the Raybestos calipers after one came with a broken bleeder screw (return shipping was on RockAuto's dime).

All other brake hardware I got from IPD during Black Friday sales.

There are some surprising deals on eBay with folks closing out stores, old stock. I usually search with the OEM part #

Back