• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940T: Adjustable cam gear to bring powerband down?

Fa182

Stage 1
940T, 16T turbo @ 13psi, stock T cam.

Quick background, I don't really rev the engine past like around 4.5k - 5k max. most of the time, so I'd really like to have the powerband sitting a bit lower.

Would it be feasible to install an adjustable cam gear in this case with advanced timing or does this not make sense? Turbo kicks in @ around 2.3-2.5k with full boost.

I'm a total noob in this area, so thanks and apologies if covered elsewhere.

You might move the power some, however a turbo needs air to move and rpm=more air faster. It is hard to get a turbo to spool fast at rpms under the 2200 rpm full spool you mentioned without finding a way to get more air through the engine.

Thanks. Let me allow to rephrase, I know the turbo won't build up sufficient pressure under 2.2k - 2.5k rpm and I'm not looking to change this, I just want to have the max powerband between this area and the mentioned 4.5k to 5k.

Is it worth a try or is the difference negligible?

Your powerband will suffer all around. If you want more bottom end you will need a modern car with a twin scroll turbo, vvt, and variable lift.

At any rate, nobody is home above 5000 rpm in a B230 that's nearly stock.

UNless someone already swapped it, it should have the T cam, and the 'T' pretty much stands for 'Tractor'. Just leave it be.

Have you tried any performance chips? A slightly more aggressive off boost timing curve may help low rpm response. I do use an adjustable gear on my n/a 93 wagon. The advance on the cam seemed to help a little but it isn't a huge difference.

I'm already running TLAO chips, yes. The cost for a gear probably outweighs the benefit, so I'll leave it.

It may be a stupid thing to say, but instead of messing with the engine, why don't you mess with ring and pinion combo ? Or gearbox ?

I don't want to mess with the diff or gearbox or anything like that. Don't get me wrong, I love my car as it is and there is no absolute need to change something, I was just asking some opinions for a simple modification. If it works it works, if not and doesn't make sense, then I'll just leave it be.

Back