• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tranny swap help

nickvolvo746

1990 760 turbo wagon with aw71

Hey folks, just another noob lookin for the right thread to guide me through a project.
I am planning on swapping out my current transmission for a better version. Anybody know any good threads that I should look through to avoid totally botching it up? I cant seem to find them...

Also looking to find a manual transmission for the same car. anybody know of any good non Volvo transmissions that work well?

cheers,

I've removed/replaced RWD transmissions a handful of times before. I didn't run into any major issues. Some of the main things are, the starter bolts on the 240 don't have enough room to come out completely unless you lower the transmission some to angle the engine downward and make space. I never had to remove the gear shifter on these cars, it's a tight fit to get it in/out if you don't though. Make sure the driveshaft bolts/nuts are at least loosened before you start removing the driveshaft, otherwise you'll have a hard time getting the remaining ones loose without anything to keep the shaft still.

When removing an auto trans be prepared to spill TONS of trans fluid everywhere if you're not careful. There's always a lot of fluid left after draining.

A lot of people use Borg Warner/Tremec T5 transmissions. There's tons of info, just search for T5 swap (the T5 transmission, not the T5 engine).

The problem is this site eliminates any search terms 3 letters or less. This makes it impossible to search for 240, m47, t5, 740, amm, maf, efi, etc....
Use google. after your search terms, type "site=tbforums.com" (no quotes). This should help you find stuff.

Back