• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SeanHodgins 1981 242 GLT

Yes and Yes, the wagon is junk, everyone thinks its great cause it was painted <2 years ago and looks nice. But it was painted right over bondo and is really not great.

Hmm, I suck, can you tell this is my first real rebuild? I put the crank, rods, pistons in. Figured it wouldn't matter if I put the intermediate shaft in after those, but nope wrong. I installed new bearings for the intermediate shaft, and did it myself. Now I find out they have to be line bored after you install them. They don't actually fit around the intermediate shaft. So I removed everything, and I'm back to a bare block, ready to go back to the machine shop. Damn!

EngineStuff-4.jpg

Nice...
sweettrans.JPG

fuuutrans.JPG

Apparently I have the 4 cyl trans, which for whatever reason in my head thought I had the V8, looks like it will have better ratios, 3.50 first and a .78 5th. But still, probably should have looked into it more before buying the trans without the tag on it. But I got a steal of a deal when I bought it so whatever, and its fresh internals are good.

Anyway, since the V8 bearing doesn't fit I have to get a bearing from a 1984 Diesel Ford Ranger. Outer Diameter of the V8 inner diameter of the 4cyl trans. Unless someone has a part number for a non OEM version of the bearing? Bore=0.5906", Outer Diameter=1.378", Width=0.4331" Anyone, anyone? I need to shorten the input shaft length by 0.2" as well. Sweet.

Speed Bumps!

The standard size is 6003 for a T5 swap with a V8 box, or 17x35x10. You need a 6202-2rs or a 15x35x11. I don't think the extra milimeter in thickness will be a problem and you should be able to get this bearing from any industrial retailer around you.

Beauty, just the answer I was looking for. Roger pulls through again.
I figured out where the confusion came from. I somewhere had it in my head that all 10 spline were V8.

When you say the extra millimeter in thickness, you referring to the shaft length? As in I don't have to hack off the end, or does 5mm still have to come off?

Two steps forward one step back. Shimming the cam today with the iPd kit.. Well most of them worked perfectly with the smallest in the kit(3.30mm) except for one, which was touching the shim at all times.. Back to the machine shop with the head. They have to take a bit off the valve.

Nothing really I could do. Such a pain. A few days behind again. Saving a few bucks by not having the shims put In by the shop, so much for that!

Two steps forward one step back. Shimming the cam today with the iPd kit.. Well most of them worked perfectly with the smallest in the kit(3.30mm) except for one, which was touching the shim at all times.. Back to the machine shop with the head. They have to take a bit off the valve.

Nothing really I could do. Such a pain. A few days behind again. Saving a few bucks by not having the shims put In by the shop, so much for that!

So much car work and exams, kill me.

Dropped the motor in today, now I don't know what to do, a bunch of little stuff to get done/made.

Exhaust manifold needs a wastegate welded on, driveshaft needs to be made, need to find an intercooler now that I find my friends is too large. Running out of time.

No, just got a cheap emusa for now, probably upgrade to Tial over the summer after I pay off some stuff haha.

Proof of progress. I bring my good camera, then I don't use it cause my hands are too dirty, then today I use my phone. I suck

Made some oil lines - I hate doing these, and my drain is too short, time to redo it.
4_18_2013-1.jpg

Made a trans mount I'm quite pleased with. used a 4x8" piece of 1/4" steel, didn't feel like cutting it to 4x6".
First I drilled the holes on my drill press, put bolted everything up, crossmember everything, jacked the plate into the cross member and tacked a few welds, so that it was perfectly lined up, then I took everything off and welded the rest.
4_18_2013-3.jpg

4_18_2013-8.jpg

4_18_2013-9.jpg

4_18_2013-14.jpg

I had to add spacers to the trans part of the mount, shouldn't be a problem? They're nice and beefy, I cut up some old wrist pins.
Anyone know how I should measure the half driveshaft?

And here she is, waiting for more and more parts.

4_18_2013-10.jpg

4_18_2013-11.jpg

Things to do before May:
Intercooler and piping
Finish oil lines.
Get driveshaft made.
MS.
Maybe E-fan

Last edited:
Maybe... Thats the plan though.

Met up with Biesey today, sold me a Evo 8 intercooler! Randomly messaged me asking if I needed one, which is crazy cause just a day before I was looking for one on kijiji, which turned up dry.

Immediately got back and started messing with it, got it pretty much mounted how I want it, and now just trying out some piping and crappy connectors my friend had laying around. It won't be as pictured I was just mid experimentation when I took them.
Since the intercooler still had the mounting tabs on it, I used that to my advantage, bent the bottom one straight down, which is now flat and perfect height to be bolted below, and the top has three tabs that can be bolted near the upper rad support.

I really need to stop using my phone to take pictures.

4_20_2013-1.jpg

4_20_2013-2.jpg

Rad fits perfectly in front. Now just need to mount the oil cooler and that stuff should be done.

4_21_2013-1.jpg

Making a bracket for my oil cooler, but It might be too low, will have to see when I install it.
Its the metal thing under my intercooler.
4_21_2013-2.jpg

4_21_2013-3.jpg

4_21_2013-4.jpg

Nice amount of clearance here!
4_21_2013-5.jpg

Wrinkle paint :-D Came out awesome.
4_21_2013-6.jpg

4_21_2013-7.jpg

4_21_2013-8.jpg

4_21_2013-9.jpg

4_21_2013-10.jpg

Not much progress, the front is pretty much done, thought thread deserved some higher quality pictures. By done I mean, the custom stuff not the bumper, lights, etc.. hahaha

Back