• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo "T" cam in an n/a motor....

Rectilinear

Longitudinally Mounted
I read that the turbo cam can be a good performer in an n/a environment.
Comments? Arguments? I know you guys like arguments.... :-P

1990 B230 LH2.4.

I had an IPD turbo performance cam in my 740. When I installed it I was planning to +T it. I had it advanced 7.5 degrees, tried it at +2.5, and +5, did not like it. I took it out last week and put the M cam back in retard 2.5 degrees and it performs just as well or better. I need to get a standard cam gear so I can 0* the M cam. I might try the M at +2.5 but I doubt it.
If I had an A or B cam it would go in.

I had T cam in my n/a B230F and I hated it! put A cam and the car has much more mid-range power, revs much easier over 3000rpm, much better with A cam.

I was looking at the specs last night, actually.... thinking about getting a T cam for the Regina mobile.

It kinda seems that as you get higher in the rev's, the T cam expects you to be pushing air into the motor with a turbo instead of it getting sucked in.

I have an A-cam with adjustable gear on the way from Dale for the '90 245. Looking forward to that. :)

-Ryan

Works just fine, just be ready for the normal power drop around 5200rpm

I do love the low end grunt the T cam gives to the n/a motors

Low end grunt is good for a wagon, no? Maybe I am too conservative, but if I ever rev my redblock over 5200 rpm, it must be a really bad day and I am in the middle of some serious road rage. Hell, I rarely go over about 4500 if I'm being honest... This is also in an AW71 limited car so I don't see it ever turning too much anyway.

Would you recommend an adjustable gear? Or would 2.4 just compensate for it anyway?

What is wrong with the AW71? I run my AW71 to 6800 daily with 300+whp and a 3000rpm stall in it.

I never liked the A cam in my turbo or n/a car. I know with my header the T cam has a ton of grunt down low and then tappers off over 5k

The T seems to still be a fairly restrictive cam. Short duration... so it's gonna suck at sucking. It's a little more advanced timing-wise than the M, probably to give the turbo's a bit of grunt off the line before the turbo spools up... by then it really expects you to be shoving air down its throat with a turbo. Since its grunt is down low, by advancing the timing sooo much, you're likely lowering where it wants to run out of steam way down the RPM-range. In other words, moving the power band off the bottom of the scale.

-Ryan

The story is that this is a +T going back to n/a. I have a buyer for the car and the T cam is installed with the stock gear at 0*. I had been reading that the T cam is commonly used in an n/a motor, but I didn't get much feedback as to how it performed. I don't mind swapping the cam out, but I just wanted to find out if it would be necessary if it was a swap that people were making anyway.
I suppose it will not hurt to run it and see. And if we think it should make more power than it is, then I will swap the cam for him. I do not have the stock cam anymore, so I just didn't know if I needed to spend the extra cash to get one or if the T would be an improvement anyway....

Low end grunt is good for a wagon, no? Maybe I am too conservative, but if I ever rev my redblock over 5200 rpm, it must be a really bad day and I am in the middle of some serious road rage. Hell, I rarely go over about 4500 if I'm being honest... This is also in an AW71 limited car so I don't see it ever turning too much anyway.

Would you recommend an adjustable gear? Or would 2.4 just compensate for it anyway?

hahaha, my aw70 equipped wagon sees redline (6k) at least five times a day. its great, makes all sorts of cool noises :lol: and its got an A cam :cool:

anyways, we put a T in my buddy's regina 745 and it helped a lot with the low end, and i honestly could barely feel a difference in the high end. it lost a little, but honestly, it wasnt much. the tradeoff was worth it to get the off the line jump.

hahaha, my aw70 equipped wagon sees redline (6k) at least five times a day. its great, makes all sorts of cool noises :lol: and its got an A cam :cool:

anyways, we put a T in my buddy's regina 745 and it helped a lot with the low end, and i honestly could barely feel a difference in the high end. it lost a little, but honestly, it wasnt much. the tradeoff was worth it to get the off the line jump.

Yep, the wagon still does well with the T in it. Pulls very hard and consistent from 1500 to 5000.

The story is that this is a +T going back to n/a. I have a buyer for the car and the T cam is installed with the stock gear at 0*. I had been reading that the T cam is commonly used in an n/a motor, but I didn't get much feedback as to how it performed. I don't mind swapping the cam out, but I just wanted to find out if it would be necessary if it was a swap that people were making anyway.
I suppose it will not hurt to run it and see. And if we think it should make more power than it is, then I will swap the cam for him. I do not have the stock cam anymore, so I just didn't know if I needed to spend the extra cash to get one or if the T would be an improvement anyway....

just look at it this way: the stock B230FK (LPT-engine, 0.35bar boost) uses a T-cam from the factory! 8.7:1 CR and that makes for a very smooth driving car. Good off idle torque, nice bit of peppy boost at mid and high revs.
A stock B230F will have a higher CR so it will be even better at low revs. With a long final drive this might just be a nice NA setup if your not after power.
Just install it staiht up and test it. It'll be nice.

Back