home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Board Member

Default 1984 242 the "back burner"

OK, so I said I would do a project thread, and I'm doin it. Now.

The reason I'm calling it the back burner right now is because the whole back end was in an awesome fire! It burned very hot and fairly quick from what I can tell. (We believe someone flung a cocktail at the window. Ultimately regardless of what happened, the rear window was a point of impact and it SAVED the car.)

You have probably seen some of these pics before but I decided to start at the beginning.

Pics:

This was an easy fix. Rear window removed it self on the way home (every bump helped just a little bit). So I tarped her up when I got home.

Part of the deal in me buying it from the guy was that he would give me a rear window a new trunk lid and a couple other things because in reality I paid too much for this thing and maybe the guy felt bad bending me over so badly.

First thing I took care of was the trunk lid and then the rust on the rear part of the car. AMAZINGLY the rust didn't eat through the metal of the body itself. So I sanded and primed it and so far it has held fairly well. Then onto the window, what a bundle of joy! Took about an hour to get it seated properly and there are still no leaks to this day.

Here are some other pics before I bought her:

Pics of the superb sand/prime job:

After I finally sort of had the car working decently, I essentially ripped the whole interior out to clean and get rid of the "I'm still on fire" smell. Back seat out, back door panels out, rear carpet, gone. Took the front seats out cleaned the carpets, still it all smelled.

Needless to say I didn't drive it much. Eventually I stuck an pine tree in it and things got remarkably better. With me finally liking the car again, I decided to swap to the flat hood.

I got the front buckets, and lights from someone on here(switched to H7 autoPal housings though), and then a friend randomly messaged me one day and said he knew someone who had a flat hood. The deal was made, and I paid for it at the Volvo's at the Gilmore 2008 show. Then another friend who lived in Michigan at the time actually picked it up for me and brought it with in a reasonable distance so I could pick it up.

Also during this time I installed the NPR intercooler. I used piping from a 7 series and a little creativity, and it worked! Only problem I had, which was solved with a new clamp, was the TB hose popping off when I hit 15 psi. Also installed at this time was an IPD cam gear (old style... mmm sexay) **No pics of any of that yet... engine bay is scary looking**

Next to come are the front springs... my first endeavor in spring modulation (cutting). **DANGER**

I chose some of those pictures because they show how much rake the car actually had. HAHA. The front is actually lower now because I didn't have the front springs on properly so to my surprise it dropped about another .75 inches when I figured it all out. (Thanks Pat D!)

Previously I acquired something absolutely fantabulous. I was bidding on a set of wheels on eBay and I set my "mental" max bid at $600. Well being that the wheels were 16x7 BBS RS's it went OVER $600. Damnit.

2 days later I get a message from the seller saying that the buyer backed out in a mutual agreement and that I could have them for $600 (my last bid price) if I wanted them. About .1 nano-second later the guy had a response saying. YES.

I got them and found out they had a couple bends. One on the lip and then another one very minor on the barrel. The seller said if there were any problems in getting the tire bead to seal we would work out some kind of deal. I purchased my $99ea Falken rt 615's from Vulcan over my vacation in Florida and had them mounted when I got back. Thankfully they sealed!

Now, obviously these wheels were not the Volvo BP. So I had to have adapters made. It just so happens, my friend who brought me the hood had these same exact wheels... in the same exact BP. $280 later we both had sets of .75" thick 5x108 to 5x112 wheel/lug centric adapters. If Todd wouldn't have offered me the extra set he had, I would have still been procrastinating on buying them. (Thank you Todd!)

The only PITA here was having to cut the studs down to size... (hind sight says a thicker spacer would be fine and less cutting would be necessary. Meh.)

MMMM RAKE.

More to come later. I'll shoot to get some under hood shots, and some in trunk/cabin shots.
I had to make my own speaker deck (Ghetto).

-Joe

1984 242 M46 GLT.
-Couple of things done to it

1998 S70 Auto.
-LONG history.

1983 242 M46

Check out http://JJFAB.net For your K24 CBV blanking plates and oil feed/return flanges!!
550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
FunkyStankyChicken
Rad Panda

Thats a remarkable transformation, that color just looks amazing with those wheels.

Cant believe somone would try to firebomb a 242.
‘88 325is
‘84 533i
‘79 242
FunkyStankyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Board Member

Well, we figure the firebomb was an insurance tactic used by some to get money from their vehicular.

My long term plans are satin black for the car. At which point the wheel color may change as well... we'll see.

I'm gonna snap some under hood shots today. Actually in 15 mins or so.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Board Member

Interior shots:
Sparco 323 steering wheel (320MM):

John G's (Craving boost) short shifter:

More random interior shots:

Pictured is the rear deck I made for the speakers, and the "wall" for the trunk to kind of kill some of the noise I get from back there. (Didn't work all that well)

Also the grinding that had to be done on the steering wheel hub to accommodate the quick release for the steering wheel. The funny thing is, I made such a big deal about getting the quick release... I never remove the wheel haha.

And the new radio location. I guess I just like it better in the glove box. Eventually I have plans for the dash space with gauges and such. But we'll see if it ever pans out. As for the 3 up top, all I did was change out the stock boost gauge to a VDO. No more "in the orange". Instead, 15 psi.
Engine bay shots:

Forge BOV, Dawes Devices MBC, NPR intercooler. (Not pictured, 7 series DP with no exhuast... running only open DP)
Also pictured, IPD cam gear and totally sweet valve cover.

This is kind of one of my favorite stickers.. very stealthy.

My Pal's:

Hood carnage:

The story behind this is as follows. The girl invites me to an early lunch with the fam so I decide what a good opportunity to drive the beast. Well on the way home the car dies out. This is a random issue I have had lately where every now and then the car just kills itself. I have pretty much surmised the problem is the Viper alarm system cutting the battery power to the car. But I love my remote too much (as well as the auto up/down window feature).
So I am taking a turn with a little bit of "zest" and the car dies... DAMNIT. I pull over, take the key out and try and start it again. Nothing. So I figure I'll pop the hood and check that shiz out. I hop out of the car, and then for some reason decide it may be a good idea to start it again.

YAY! It starts.

I close the door and start to drive and then:

FAP BAM BOOM KABLAMNY!!!!!!!!! I'm seeing red. (Literally... the hood is red and it's all I see.)

IDIOT! So I put the hood down, but I ruined my damn hood hinges and curled the edges of the hood as well.

So I pounded the edges down and got new hinges from the JY. But it still hurts to see that the edges will never be the same.

But now I know every time the viper kills the car, all I do is pop the hood and she starts again. YAY. Weird thing about that though is there is no hood pin. Not sure WTF that is all about or why popping the hood has anything to do with the battery kill.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
wisturbo
ⒼⒺⓉ ⓇⒶⒹ

Looks great! I like that you're staying true to Kjet.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Board Member

Hehe... for now I am, yes. But after the K24 goes on we'll see. I'm getting a 405BCP head worked over with 38/40mm valves and hopefully getting a DP soon as well. I can't wait to get this turbo in the car. Should be nice.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

yeah... get rid of the Kjet
Old 04-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
buzz
To inspamity, and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550 View Post
Well, we figure the firebomb was an insurance tactic used by some to get money from their vehicular.
Call it what it is. Jewish lightning is not racist.

Gonna be done for MM4?
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

The Phoenix
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
doucheNozzle

Looks cool. What cam?

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Board Member

Regular T cam for right now, possibly Kcam soon or... I don't know. Depends on the head flow I guess.

Hopefully it will be at MM4. We'll see.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
doucheNozzle

Do the K cam.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
wisturbo
ⒼⒺⓉ ⓇⒶⒹ

Quote:
Hehe... for now I am, yes. But after the K24 goes on we'll see. I'm getting a 405BCP head worked over with 38/40mm valves and hopefully getting a DP soon as well. I can't wait to get this turbo in the car. Should be nice.
I've currently got a 405 at a shop in West Bend, WI. R-T Speed Shop. I'm not going with larger valves, but I'll have a fresh 15G mated up to my 3" SAM exhaust and ported exhaust manifold. I'm hoping turn around time will be fast. Are you having port work done to your 405? Member Canuck in Canada can get you a K cam shipped quick and affordable if you're still trying to find one.

I have that 531 for sale if you're ever interested.

wisturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Board Member

Yeah I want this thing worked over pretty hard core.

I should have a decent line on a k-cam... If it is still there haha
Old 04-27-2010, 02:03 AM   #14
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Eventually I stuck an pine tree in it and things got remarkably better.
Seriously? I was trying to think of a plant that could survive in a car most of the time, but couldn't come up with anything in the short time I was driving at that point... Some natural smells would be cool.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #15
jamin01
Board Member

are you using terminal 11 trickery for 15 psi?
245 ti - ipd springs, billy hd's, 25mm sways, poly, A cam, b230 mani swap, 2.5" turbo back, 10psi, 3" intercooler, E-fan, AC deleted, M46 with stage 1 PP and 6 puck clutchnet - more mods to come? LH 2.2 convert, ported 90+, LPG once EFI.
Fap Fap
jamin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Seriously? I was trying to think of a plant that could survive in a car most of the time, but couldn't come up with anything in the short time I was driving at that point... Some natural smells would be cool.
Hahah

No I'm not using terminal 11 yet... maybe eventually. I will have the WB 02 in soon ...
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
doucheNozzle

No terminal 11 and 15psi? Yikes!! You better get a WB in there soon or turn that shiz down.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
Board Member

Been this way for a while
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
Board Member

Updates soon to come!

Getting pictures of some newly acquired things.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
Board Member

I don't know what these are... but I got them in the mail. They will go in this thing I will have a pic of in a few moments. Something about 38mm?

All pics will be clickable.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Board Member

The 5-0 made me do it.

New bumper, holes will be made soon.

Yes it is a power rack, but it doesn't appear to leak like a .10cent prostitute.

Stiffy.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
242GT@PR

I like it!!
242GT@PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #23
Board Member

Future plans:
- Once I get back from Florida, I will start in on the rust issue. I will be posting pics of it as I go along.
- Engine rebuild over the winter!! I will pull the B21FT out and do a rebuild on it. Atleast that's the plan now.

Not sure after that... a bigger turbo after the K24.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #24
doucheNozzle

Get your wideband in yet?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #25
Board Member

Sorta... I had it in but I still need to get the other turbo on. For the exhaust. I'm really only running an open DP and I don't really wanna do anything with this exhaust.

I'm planning to bump up the pressure and I think I will terminal 11 it then. Since I'm planning on rebuilding the engine now I'm not too worried about what happens to it.

I'm planning on getting into the group buy with RSI for rods and pistons. Recently my GF of 4 years broke up with me, and I figure I'll have some extra monies.