• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ported manifold gain...

Roy 940

Hi all,

I'm now in the porting job in a 16T and a 90+ manifold, so what can i expect about gain?

More torque? Power?

I'll put some pics when I finish this job...

Thanks for the input!

Alex.

It is possible it'll decrease the boost pressure at hi-revs also?

My problem now is:

-I set my boost at 1.1 bar, but at 5500 rpm ( at WOT ), it raise up to 1.3 / 1.4 bar...

It is possible it'll decrease the boost pressure at hi-revs also?

My problem now is:

-I set my boost at 1.1 bar, but at 5500 rpm ( at WOT ), it raise up to 1.3 / 1.4 bar...

No, That's boost creep, it's something that most people accept or are forced to deal with.

It's from your current wastegate settings don't allow for enough exhaust gas to bypass the turbine at the higher RPM to maintain a steady level of boost. You need to adjust the wastegate so it can either open more, or open up the waste gate hole to allow more flow through it, or possibly get a different method of boost control.

Or live with it.

A secondary benefit of porting your 90+ is to reduce the development of stress cracks at the collector that happen because of the excess heat buildup at the choke point.

No, That's boost creep, it's something that most people accept or are forced to deal with.

It's from your current wastegate settings don't allow for enough exhaust gas to bypass the turbine at the higher RPM to maintain a steady level of boost. You need to adjust the wastegate so it can either open more, or open up the waste gate hole to allow more flow through it, or possibly get a different method of boost control.

Or live with it.

A secondary benefit of porting your 90+ is to reduce the development of stress cracks at the collector that happen because of the excess heat buildup at the choke point.

Thanks for the input!

I increase the wastegate hole diameter from 4mm... I hope it'll be enough...

Or is it possible to modify the WG shaft ( in the hotside ) to have more puck stroke?

I think you need to put a test pressure on your WG actuator to see how much it travels, compared to the travel of the actual waste gate flap.

I suspect you will have more success porting the hole compared to opening the wastegate to 100% if it only opens to 90% now (for example). If it only opens 50%...that is another story.

I think you need to put a test pressure on your WG actuator to see how much it travels, compared to the travel of the actual waste gate flap.

I suspect you will have more success porting the hole compared to opening the wastegate to 100% if it only opens to 90% now (for example). If it only opens 50%...that is another story.

For now, it just open like stock, and I think it's not enough... I'll test it when I change the hotside.
And I hope the porting hole will help enough also...

How hard is porting the iron? Just a normal carbide tip works? I'm thinking about opening up the collector on my +90 before I put it in.

Do you really get creep with a 16T? Are you still using your stock tiny hotside? I've never heard of '95 850 turbos getting creep, and whiteblocks obviously flow a lot more. I have a ported conical hotside from a 15G, hopefully it will manage boost.

How hard is porting the iron? Just a normal carbide tip works? I'm thinking about opening up the collector on my +90 before I put it in.

Do you really get creep with a 16T? Are you still using your stock tiny hotside? I've never heard of '95 850 turbos getting creep, and whiteblocks obviously flow a lot more. I have a ported conical hotside from a 15G, hopefully it will manage boost.

With normal carbide tools, no problem!

And yes, I really have boost creep with my 16T...
And I use the stock 16T hotside, that's why I've ported it also.

Have you some pics about your ported conical hotside?

The Iron is pretty easy to port. I went to a good tool shop in town and bought a 20$ carbide bur it cuts through the manifolds real easy. I've ported 6 of them with it and it's still sharp.

I also use a 10" length of 1/4" steel dowel with a slit cut in the middle to hold sand paper for smoothing and polishing. Chuck the dowel on the drill and get cloth sand paper (either the correct stuff of cut belt sander paper) use the drill to wind the paper around the dowel and go to town. When the paper on the outside of the roll is spent rip it off and use the next fresh layer. I can find a pic of that setup if I'm not being clear enough.

I use a cheep harbor freight 1/2" chuck hammer drill to drive the bit (not on hammer setting obviously). I bear down hard on the drill when I'm porting so I just wanted a cheep drill that I don't care about destroying... but it's also lasted for years- 6 manifolds and 2 head porting jobs, and a stroker crank that I axe edged and polished.

Here are some pics of the very mild port job I did for my Gray car: I left the turbine housing alone, it's a 13c.

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Magnumte/Volvo/Gray Car/?action=view&current=Photo054.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Magnumte/Volvo/Gray Car/Photo054.jpg

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Magnumte/Volvo/Gray Car/?action=view&current=Photo055.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Magnumte/Volvo/Gray Car/Photo051.jpg

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Magnumte/Volvo/Gray Car/?action=view&current=Photo053.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Magnumte/Volvo/Gray Car/Photo051.jpg

as you can see in the last pic I also got in there with some abrasives to clean up and polish away the casting flaws.
I feel that it's pretty important to clean off the scaling and imperfections in the collector area. Thus reducing heat risers and making the flow of exhaust smoother around that area, the theory is that is should reduce the tendency for heat stress cracks to develop and grow.

Hope you find that helpful.

Thanks that's hugely helpful! Anything to help stop it from cracking I'm down for.

I'll try and snap some pictures of it, I don't have another to compare to it, I just remember it being a heck of a lot more open than other conical hotsides I've seen. I bought it used.

MoteurVolvo047.jpg

MoteurVolvo046.jpg

MoteurVolvo043.jpg

MoteurVolvo053.jpg

MoteurVolvo052.jpg

MoteurVolvo049.jpg

Her is the pics, as said...

Back