• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Making Clear Turn Signals

Turbo944

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the OEM turn signal lense into a clear turn signal? If so, how is this done? I know for other cars such as Subarus it is possible. Does anyone have any advice?

i tried to get the yellow reflectors out of the '86 745 lenses and it was impossible. They're 1 piece so i had to work through the lamp holder hole... I think if i was to try again i would attempt to separate the lens from the reflector cup by baking it. Thats what the rest of the world does to repaint headlight buckets and stuff.

wNjMyMzE5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Clears with custom clear reflectors i made.

Agreed, tell all :)

My plan is to take the lens off the backing, then get it moulded in clear plastic at a plastic place...hopefully at mates rates! Expensive however you do it...

cheers

James

Fair point :-P

Having said that...is it really rice if they later offered the same thing from the factory (for 940s)? It'd also almost automatically be unique...especially on a 300.

cheers

James

kyle tells all

got this info from jordan

He had clear lens's that were made from the plastic for flourecent lights that are used in offices and other buildings.

as for the oven trick. its just used for seperating the glue

240Psycho said:
He had clear lens's that were made from the plastic for flourecent lights that are used in offices and other buildings.

OOOOH! What a genius. Someone buy that man a pint.

cheers

James

Yeah, sorry, been lacking on the replies lately haha.

It took me a few hours to do, because separating the lenses when new, takes forever to prevent cracking.

The problem with the oven is, besides intoxicating fumes and melting the plastic [it doesn't take much], is that you don't want to do it in an oved you have to make food in. Also, the chrome/reflective paint will bubble in an oven in no time, nothing in that parking lamp is made to withstand a high temp even for a few seconds. If a bulb exploding damages the lens, an oven won't be too much help! :)

I might do a group buy for clears that are pre made, but the place has been ignoring me. Greenchunks has wanted me to make him a set, and i feel bad for putting it off. If he still wants it, i'll do it soon.

But it is just time, and the plastic it is made out of, is very difficult to cut without breaking the plastic and making it look ok once inside the housing.

I'll make them for people, for a small fee, but i can't promise a lens won't crack. Although i take my time and have not broken one yet since i am patient with it.

This only applies to pre 90 740, pre 88 760. Just because, the 940 and 740 from 90+ have the orange piece integrated into the lens, or i could be wrong. That would just be difficult but if someone has a broken lens they don't need back i could play with, i'll give it a shot.

Dan

Last edited:
yeah you wouldnt give it high heat... something like 150-200 degrees for about 20 minutes i would guess and that should soften the sealer glue enough to pry the two pieces apart. i'll see if i can find the how-to from a "honda headlight bucket painting black" topic

[edit]

found it, should have known it was these crazy guys:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64908

Last edited:
I still think it is asking for trouble with the oven and a thin plastic lens. I bet the evo headlights are a stronger material than our simple parking lights.

Maybe it is just me, but i'd rather not run the risk of melting it or warping it, and getting into other problems, than just taking my time with it and doing it manually....

Whatever floats your boat, though :)

Back to studying.

foggyjames said:
Fair point :-P

Having said that...is it really rice if they later offered the same thing from the factory (for 940s)? It'd also almost automatically be unique...especially on a 300.

cheers

James
They didn't offer these add these as a factory option later did they? Maybe in Europe if anything. Or were you just using that to express your point...

Someone on ebay is selling rear clear taillights for 240 wagons and sedans. Maybe you could talk him into doing some clear front turn signals?

Back