Ford racing t-stat housing
Custom shifter
Custom Motor mount plates and trans mount welded to cross member
2.5 dual into 3inch single exhaust with dual chamber muffler
Pascesetter headers
Off the shelf radiator hoses
6pk1155 Drive belt, only accessory's are alternator and water pump
Saab 9-3 se shift boot
Custom throttle bracket made to work with the ford cable at throttle body then cut and connected to Volvo cable after firewall.

Suspension/breaks
bilstein shocks front and rear
Polly rear torque rods
Hawk HP+ break pads up front
Hayashi racing 505 3 peice wheels 15x7.5

Future plans
Upgrade suspension (coilovers)
g80 rear diff and swap over my 3.23 rear or stick with the 3.73?
Adjustable panhard bar
Boost!

This is my first build thread here on turbobricks, I know its all been done before but i thought i might be able to help some other people who are thinking about doing this build. But first some background. This is my third 240 and it was my daily driver for about a year and a half before the build. I also have a 244 that i race in lemons.

Here is a pic from the day i bought it, i work (as a bmw/mini tech) that gets alot of older volvo work still so this was a past customers car. It has 287k and i picked it up for $500.

I drove it for a while like that then started to put a little work into it and swapped over a set of turbo wheels that usually get used on my track car.

Next thing was to get rid of the automatic and swap in a m46 and some 25mm bars.

Here is how the car sat just before the swap

I started to get the itch for more power and I have a lot of friends who are ford guys and have seen the potential of the 5.0 and 4.6 ford engines. I talked about doing the swap for a while then a friend of mine came across a donor car and i decided to just go for it.

The donor car was a 93 mustang lx. It was in a heavy front end crash but the engine was fine and the best part is the car only had 62k miles! I bought the car for $800

We pulled the engine which was more of a task then normal since the frame was almost touching the engine.

The donor car was a automatic so i found a t5 and all the parts to go with locally for $300

With the donor car now out of my shop i got the 245 in and pulled the engine and trans and cleaned out the 300k worth of dirt and grease.

We used the pics and drawings of that Volvos that run 5.0 swap mount adapters and made a set of our own. The first time we had a issue with the way we made the passenger side mount so we had to cut and flip it and weld it back together. The reason we had this problem was just a error when we made out drawing in cad we basically drew it backwards. Not a big deal and then just drill a new hole.

We then dropped the engine in and it fit pretty well right off the bat. We dropped it in without the trans mounted because i had forgot to get a pilot bearing and we were getting impatient haha. (in the pic is my friend logan who has been helping alot with the build and is the man behind most of the custom parts.

Here is the first pic of the engine bolted into the car

I bought a set of cheapy pacesetter headers since the manifolds that were on the engine were rusty and in poor shape.

The headers had a little issue on both sides, on the driver side it was touching the steering shaft and had to be hit it a little to have some space. And on the passenger side it was nearly on the body of the car so ground down the cast around the flange and hit the body inward to make space.

Next i bolted in the new flywheel and clutch parts along with the bellhousing.

Next mounted up the t5 trans.

As far as the trans mount we just used the stock crossmember and welded in a mount for the stock t5 mount.

Since my drive shaft was from a automatic mustang it had the big counter weight on the end that had to be cut off to fit in the tunnel of the 240

I bought the yoshifab drive shaft adapter that made it possible to bolt the ford driveshaft to the volvo rear with no other modifications!

Next thing i went after was the wiring witch is not as bad as it sounds. Basically you use the ford harness and ecu and run about 2 wires to the ecu and another 2-3 to the connector near the dlc. The charging and starting system has a few wires that are wired into the grey connector on the firewall and then there is just a few more wires for the tach and temp sender. Im using the ford fuel pump relays to send power through the volvo fuse block back to the stocks pumps.

And here is a pic of the engine fully wired, you will notice that the battery is still in the original location and the starter solenoid is mounted right behind the batter along with the coil.
The serp belt setup is pretty simple because im not running power steering or ac so its just water pump and alternator. I need to get a couple pics of the cooling system still but im using a diesel 240 rad and a 14inc electric fan mounted on the front side of the rad. The heater hoses were a little bit of a pain but overall not that bad.

So after four weeks since the day we brought the mustang in to pull the engine we were ready for our first drive in the car, long story short we pulled out and found out that the trans was now stuck in first gear. We took the trans back out and found the one shift for to be work very badly. I will have anther shift for tomorrow and hopefully that fixes the problem so i can get it over to the exhaust shop to have the exhaust built.

So up to this point im sure i left out alot of information so feel free to ask. If you count back in the parts i got from the donor car i have spent $1400 on this swap and will need to still get exhaust done. I hope you guys enjoy the read and hopefully i have a driving video sometime this week!

Last edited by Rfoltz53; 09-19-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Rfoltz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
2manyturbos

It looks like it will be a nice, clean install when you finish it up.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
smokeyfan1000

lookin' good........
Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

well done...

didn't realize just how "bolt-in" a 5.0L Ford motor could be.
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
2manyturbos

It's so easy you can do it in your sleep. That's why it makes no sense hot rodding Volvo redblocks if the goal is reliability, gas mileage, power or anything else other than keeping it all Volvo.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Rfoltz53
Board Member

Thanks guys! Anyone with any t5 experience every seen this kind of wear on the shift forks?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb

Looks like someone liked banging it into 2/4 or held their hand on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
lumpy85
board surfer

Nice build so far! Can't wait to see vids of it running and driving
lumpy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
740atl
educator monkey

Looks great dude!
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfoltz53 View Post
Thanks guys! Anyone with any t5 experience every seen this kind of wear on the shift forks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Looks like someone liked banging it into 2/4 or held their hand on it
Yep. Happens when 2nd is grabbed with the stock shifter. Aftermarket units have stop bolts that don't allow the shifter to be pulled back far enough to bend the fork.

Rage boner achieved.
grnmachine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Rfoltz53
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmachine02 View Post
Yep. Happens when 2nd is grabbed with the stock shifter. Aftermarket units have stop bolts that don't allow the shifter to be pulled back far enough to bend the fork.
Ok thanks for the input guys, The person i bought the trans from is going to give me another t5 he has but it is a from a 4 cylinder fox body so im justing going to swap over the top cover and forks.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Rfoltz53
Board Member

Here is a link to the first time the car was pulled out of the shop, before i realized the trans problem, has just open headers in the video.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...95225998942151
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
w00dst0ck
Board Member

Yep, t5's don't have internal stops like the newer transmissions. Banging gears with a stock shifter, or external stops that aren't set up correctly can/will do this.

That's the only good thing about them, even WC t5's are literally everywhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Mueller
Board Member

Nice wagon, that is in great shape.

Congrats on the engine install
Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
It's so easy you can do it in your sleep. That's why it makes no sense hot rodding Volvo redblocks if the goal is reliability, gas mileage, power or anything else other than keeping it all Volvo.
I dunno, I think it depends on your goals and since when did modifying a volvo need to make sense?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Hodginsa
Always

You forgot to take the 5 min to paint the engine bay flat black!

Its funny how easily that V8 drops in, good work.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Rfoltz53
Board Member

I picked up the second t5 from the craigslist seller yesterday and brought it home to steal the shift forks/top cover out of. When i pulled the top cover off i found that the link to the one shift for was about to break in half. I stole the the one good shift fork and moved it over to my other top cover and re assembled my first t5. After i got that all back together it still will not go into first. Im thinking its time to just break down and buy a known good/rebuilt t5.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Mark
sex lights

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...32/3532089.htm

Looks like the forks are available... maybe just get a new one?

Cool build! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
Incorrect, the Frigidaire is Mark's 86 745. It's in appliance white and it is Best Car.
The Fridge; '86 745 DD-with full '94 LH2.4 swap. Now with M90!
2000 AMG E55 wagon.
'78 Honda GL1000- naked Goldwing.
'76 265 wagon with Megasquirted 350 chevy and T56. Scrapped
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #19
Rfoltz53
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...32/3532089.htm

Looks like the forks are available... maybe just get a new one?

Cool build! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

M.
Thanks! Im not so sure that the forks are my problem to honest.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Hodginsa
Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfoltz53 View Post
I picked up the second t5 from the craigslist seller yesterday and brought it home to steal the shift forks/top cover out of. When i pulled the top cover off i found that the link to the one shift for was about to break in half. I stole the the one good shift fork and moved it over to my other top cover and re assembled my first t5. After i got that all back together it still will not go into first. Im thinking its time to just break down and buy a known good/rebuilt t5.
I "fixed" a broken t5 off kijiji, only to have it break again the very same way a few weeks later. Decided I wanted to get at least one month of driving out of my car this year, so went to a junkyard for a quick fix and found one. In a day I had it swapped in, by myself in a driveway, only to find that the junkyard t5 had almost no sychros for 3rd and 4th. I gambled and lost. Still got to drive my car though, just double clutching my overly strong clutch.

So yeah I'm where you're at in thinking, why the hell did I buy two broken t5s... I'm going to get one fixed though, I don't think Ill buy a new one just yet.
Hodginsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
w00dst0ck
Board Member

You can get a fresh rebuilt WC t5 for around $700, with warranty.
w00dst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Rfoltz53
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dst0ck View Post
You can get a fresh rebuilt WC t5 for around $700, with warranty.
Where is this? In my area (easter pa) used t5's sell on craigslist for around 500-700.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
Rfoltz53
Board Member

We decided to spend a little more time messing with the two t5's that we have and tore the one that was back together apart. We found that the link that connects the shift fork to the shift rod was about to break into two parts! We swapped over a new link from the parts trans and put it all back together and it finnaly went in and out of every gear on the bench!

So about 15mins later the trans was back into the car and we were ready for the first real test drive of the car. At this point it was 9:30 at night and my shop is below a apartment and surrounded by houses. The car has only headers at this point so its very loud. We drove it pretty slow until we got it out of the alley. It actually drives really nice! The throttle needs a little tweaking right now it feels like a on/off switch but i cant complain since it made it from my shop to my apartment with no problems!

Next thing is exhaust and a few small things that still need attention. For you v8 guys do you have any pics of your exhaust setup? Im trying to decided how I want to build mine.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Here's what I did -- this set up on from about 2002 til earlier this year. 2.5" duals, stainless matrix cats, H-pipe, under the rear axle and into an OEM-style replica Boss302/429 Mustang muffler.

Recently I cut the muffler out and replaced it with a larger better flowing pair of 2012 5.0L Mustang mufflers that I reconfigured for a center/rear exit.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 11-08-2013 at 09:16 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
Rfoltz53
Board Member

Wow! That setup is awsome! Are you not running a rear sway bar?