• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S80 seats in a 240

Sourmilk

Boffo
My dad's S80 was recently totaled. He ran over an unseen piece of gnarly metal on a railroad track and it flipped up and quite literally ripped the rear left wheel pretty much clean off. We're going to try to strip what we can from the car before sending it off and I was wondering about the feasibility of getting the front seats, ideally power intact, into my 1989 245.

Would it be as simple as getting the seat rails from the S80 and bolting them down in place of the existing 240 rails? My driver's seat has always looked like hammered dog**** so I thought this *might* be a decent opportunity for a neat little swap, especially since the S80 is mad comfortable. Any thoughts?
Also if anyone needs anything let me know, I think it's a 2006.

With the right ayyydaptor, you can mount seats from the space shuttle Atlantis in there if so inclined.

well, it looks doable from my short internet search.

Here a thread with pics of the S80 (P2 cars) seats and how someone mounted them in an 850. Looks like the same mechanism roughly. The seat is mounted on 2 swivel links in front and 2 hinges in the back.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/137522-s80-seats-in-850/

And here a few pics of my 240-850 seat swap.

IMG_20150923_180354.jpg

IMG_20150923_140051.jpg

The 850 and newer seats are generally a bit wider than the 240 seat rails. Seats themselves too, I had to remove about 50 mm of the door side crash tube of the seat.

Edit2: when using power seats the method Homer posted seems better to me!

Last edited:
i have a set of some decent s40/v40 manual seats welded to 240 sliders that came in my 242 that im not using. the passenger one is still in the car, but will be replaced. i am not sure how similar the rails are, but it can be done

I'm going to give it a shot, they're free seats and in great shape. Based on what you guys have showed me it seems perfectly doable, should be pulling the seats this weekend

A friend of mine adapted power seats from an S70 into his 240
The problem he encountered is that because of the hump in the 240 floor and the fact that power seats are taller than the original 240's, after the swap the seat ends up being very high, higher than it is supposed to be in the original car. It can be a problem if you are tall
My friend is over 6 feet tall and ended up swapping the seats out as it was not comfortable

I've experienced something similar with 850 seats in a 240, I found the adapted seats WAY too high.

I've never been able to replicate the exact seating position my 242 gave me, and that makes me really sad because it was the most comfortable seating position of any car I've had. Low, piles of leg room. Can't seem to make it happen in any other car, including 2 244's (84 and 90) and 2 245's (83 and 89)

I've experienced something similar with 850 seats in a 240, I found the adapted seats WAY too high.

I've never been able to replicate the exact seating position my 242 gave me, and that makes me really sad because it was the most comfortable seating position of any car I've had. Low, piles of leg room. Can't seem to make it happen in any other car, including 2 244's (84 and 90) and 2 245's (83 and 89)

I know, that is why i made new brackets and bolted them to the 240 rails. My seat seems to go as low or a bit lower than the stock seat. Just manual seats, not powered.

im 6'4" and the s40 seats welded to 240 sliders are a bit high for me. i opted for a sparco bucket on Kaplhenke brackets and i sit slightly lower than a stock seat. but its definately doable. you should be fine if you dont mind sitting slightly higher

On the dot, actually!

mh.. problem about those conversions is you get the seat that space higher you need for the brackets.. problem about newer seats is also they build higher tahn old ones.. so.. anyhow you're doing.. you mustn be tall ;)

I had Audi S8 seats in my 16v once.. awesome seats.. but it only worked out cause of my sunroof ;)

/edit but i'm 1,93 ;)

Back