home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #326
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hello Tfrasca, where did you find this downpipe flange TD0$ -> 3" ?
Thank you, very nice car. Regards, Kay
I got the SS flange from Yother.com and the 2.5 to 3" transition is from eBay.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #327
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Going back a few posts but I also found my aeroquip drain hose cooked through during an engine pull. Actually mine was cooked THROUGH underneath a DEI heat sleeve, I can only assume it didn't leak because it was on top of the hose at a bend.

I replaced my hose with same and put it on the consumable list. My hose cooked through despite being wrapped in DEI heat sleeve then sprial wrapped in DEI heat tape. I just don't think any rubber hose is going to survive surrounded by a header. The braiding won't hurt, but I would plan on keeping an eye on that hose all the same.
Yeah, I'll keep an eye on the braided hose. I know that's the highest heat area in the whole engine bay, but I was still surprised to see the Aeroquip hose in such bad shape after only a couple thousand miles.

The cool thing about the braided hose is that between the adapter and the threaded fitting, the actual hose is a couple inches further from the exhaust housing than before. Hoping that helps.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #328
Tfrasca
Board Member

Well, the car's been running great and I've been putting some miles on it. So obviously, it's time to take it apart again. I pulled the M41 out and got the T5 mocked up yesterday. I got a 240 trans tunnel from Hiperfauto, which makes fitting it in the car much easier.

It sits a bit rotated to the left with the DeeWorks adapter on the "upright" setting, but I think I can massage the tunnel some more and it'll be fine.

This is what I'm thinking for the trans mount:

The reason I want to do this and not the stock mustang mount is to get a wider footprint and hopefully reduce engine rotation. I figure if I can use two mounts further apart, they can be softer and still offer some stability.

Ideally, I'd angle the mounts forward to mimic the stock setup. I always thought it was weird how T5 swaps use vertical mounts when the motor mounts are tilted back. But everyone does it, so I'm sure it's great. We'll see how much effort I want to put into angling these two mounts.

Any input on that?
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #329
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Ideally, I'd angle the mounts forward to mimic the stock setup. I always thought it was weird how T5 swaps use vertical mounts when the motor mounts are tilted back. But everyone does it, so I'm sure it's great. We'll see how much effort I want to put into angling these two mounts.

Any input on that?
Dave Barton Changed his mounts to match the stock style. I checked his website but couldn't find anything. It must have been in a thread here somewhere. He had diagrams of everything also.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #330
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Dave Barton Changed his mounts to match the stock style. I checked his website but couldn't find anything. It must have been in a thread here somewhere. He had diagrams of everything also.
That makes so much sense. I'll try to find it, but I think I'll just bite the bullet and do the extra work.

Edit: Here is Dave Barton's solution. I'll be doing this with my double stock mount set up.

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...52&postcount=8

Last edited by Tfrasca; 01-15-2018 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: found Dave's post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #331
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Quote:
I got the SS flange from Yother.com and the 2.5 to 3" transition is from eBay.
Thanks, regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #332
Coupid
Board Member

You're living the dream man! This is one helluva car.
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #333
Tfrasca
Board Member

Chipping away at the T5 swap. I ended up making a pretty ridiculous looking crossmember and trans mount bracket, but I mocked it up and it works great. My goal was to use mounts at the same angle as stock, to push against the motor mount angle. I also wanted to have as wide a footprint as possible to reduce engine rock while still being able to use soft mounts.

And yes, I've barely figured out how to use my welder. Luckily, I know my way around a can of black spray paint.

I dropped my drive shaft off today, so that should be ready this week. Then it's just a matter of pulling the trans out to put the clutch in, and welding up the tunnel.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 AM   #334
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
And yes, I've barely figured out how to use my welder.
I bought a new welder over the summer. I struggled and struggled with it. Hated it. Then I figured out I had the polarity wrong for welding with gas.
Works great now.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #335
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
I bought a new welder over the summer. I struggled and struggled with it. Hated it. Then I figured out I had the polarity wrong for welding with gas.
Works great now.
Ha! I got mine from a friend who'd been using it successfully for big furniture projects, so I know the polarity is correct. I double checked it, too.

Equipment-wise, my main issues are the daisy chain of extension cords and power strips that is powering the welder, and the tank being full of straight CO2. I think that with C25 and a more direct power source, it would work better.

That said, I can lay down a perfect bead on a nice exposed lap joint. But once I get into the weird corners and angles, it falls apart.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #336
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Just read this front to back and I’m blown away with your cleanliness and engine bay/build. You and I were cut from the same cloth as far as that stuff goes! Looks incredible.

Subscribed!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #337
Jack
junkman

I had nothing but trouble with my pro 5.0 shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #338
cwdodson88
Board Member

I like my ebay knock off. Only issue was having to disassemble, clean, and reassemble using locktite on everything, and grease the ball seat.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #339
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Just read this front to back and Iím blown away with your cleanliness and engine bay/build. You and I were cut from the same cloth as far as that stuff goes! Looks incredible.

Subscribed!
Wow, thanks! Glad someone can appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #340
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I had nothing but trouble with my pro 5.0 shifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
I like my ebay knock off. Only issue was having to disassemble, clean, and reassemble using locktite on everything, and grease the ball seat.
I was wondering about this shifter. It came on the trans, so I was planning on using it. Jack, what were your troubles?

I did plan on taking it apart and greasing the ball more. It seems to have trouble self centering from 5th. The springs are adjusted properly, it just feels like it hangs up coming back to neutral.

I think I'd prefer the feel of a stock shifter, but I've read that the stock shift stops aren't accurate and you can 'over shift' and bend shift forks, etc. Any truth in that?

Last edited by Tfrasca; 01-25-2018 at 07:19 PM..
Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #341
Jack
junkman

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=253

It feels like when the shifter linkage bushings go out on an m46. Spongy feeling and not quite “click” into gears. Then with time I had trouble getting into reverse - would have to first go into 4th before being able to find reverse. 2nd was hard to find too, but worst of all it started to pop out of 5th the more I drove it...

Installed the stock one and wow what a relief, everything clicks in and works well.

No idea on over shifting but with the pro5.0 trans felt broken for me

As an added bonus the stock shifter can be removed from the hole in the trans tunnel while pro5.0 I had to take it apart completely

Last edited by Jack; 01-26-2018 at 01:13 AM..
Old 01-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #342
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=253

Installed the stock one and wow what a relief, everything clicks in and works well.

Good info, thanks. I think since it's already on and I paid for it, I'm going to try this shifter first. I actually don't think it's a Pro 5.0. It's got allen bolt adjustments for the return springs on both sides, which I don't see on any Pro 5.0 pictures. It's probably one of the cheap eBay ones.

That said, I looked online for a stock mustang shifter, and all I can find are the levers. Did you find one at a junkyard?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #343
Jack
junkman

Yup at a junk yard. 94-2004 sn96 mustangs have them. Takes just a few min to pull it from the top. Think it was from a v6 too , same as the driveshaft I pulled
Old 01-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #344
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Yup at a junk yard. 94-2004 sn96 mustangs have them. Takes just a few min to pull it from the top. Think it was from a v6 too , same as the driveshaft I pulled
Good to know, thanks!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #345
cwdodson88
Board Member

I had trouble finding 3rd, and t5s are notorious for needing a 2nd>Reverse or 4th>reverse pattern. Adjusting the stops fixed my 3rd, and I’ve just been accustomed to 2nd then reverse since the first fox mustang I drove.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #346
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
I had trouble finding 3rd, and t5s are notorious for needing a 2nd>Reverse or 4th>reverse pattern. Adjusting the stops fixed my 3rd, and Iíve just been accustomed to 2nd then reverse since the first fox mustang I drove.
I've been looking at my shifter and it's definitely one of the $40 eBay ones. It's got a lot of adjustment though, and I can get it to run through the gears pretty well with the car not running, or course.

I assume the 2nd > reverse thing is a syncro issue? I've gotten accustomed to going 1st > reverse on every SAAB and Volvo I've had, so I don't think that'll bother me much.

I think I'll grab a SN95 Mustang shifter to have on hand if this one feels wonky.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #347
cwdodson88
Board Member

Pretty sure reverse has no synchro, so 2nd aligns the teeth just about right for the reverse slider.. As the trans wears, 4th and 5th get to be the closest match.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #348
shaned
Board Member

post about an m-41, but you are in t-5 land now. good show

Last edited by shaned; 01-26-2018 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: not relavant
shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #349
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Pretty sure reverse has no synchro, so 2nd aligns the teeth just about right for the reverse slider.. As the trans wears, 4th and 5th get to be the closest match.
Yeah I think most transmissions don't have a synchronized reverse, I've just found that throwing the ones I've had into 1st, then reverse avoids any crunching. I think I was taught that at 16 years old.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #350
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Yeah I think most transmissions don't have a synchronized reverse, I've just found that throwing the ones I've had into 1st, then reverse avoids any crunching. I think I was taught that at 16 years old.
I've always done 2nd. Especially with the m40.
oemoilleaks is offline   Reply With Quote